Aliens on Earth

Everything else
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I was thinking some place like Niger. A relatively low gun zone with a massive rural population (highest population in Africa) and a very poor transportation system.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Jordanis wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
mlsnoopy wrote:But the amaount of weapons in Africa is still alot lower the in USA.
In quantity, maybe (though I doubt it). In terms of quality, however, the vast majority of privately own weapons in the US are handguns. In Somalia (and most African troublespots) they're AKs.
Handguns, hunting rifles, and shotguns. Handguns can be fairly powerful, but nothing like a rifle bullet. They can fire fast, too. For the hunting rifles, they're usually bolt-action. I hope the first hit stops it, particularly at the range you usually encounter xenomorphs. I'm not sure a shotgun would have enough penetrative power to hurt a xenomorph. I just see all the shot more or less bouncing off or not going all the way through the exoskeleton.
The standard AK-47 or AKM fires a 7.62x39mm round with a muzzle velocity of around 2,300 feet per second, with the muzzle energy at 1,400-1,500ft·lbf. The cartridge casing is 1.5 inches long and weighs 281 grains, and the bullet itself weighs 123 grains. The AK-47 and AKM, with the 7.62x39mm cartridge, have a maximum effective range of around 300-400 yards. I myself prefer the M-1 Garand, which is semi-automatic and fires a .30-06 cartrige (that's 7.62x63mm), with a muzzle velocity of around 3,000 feet per second, muzzle energy at 2,800 ft-lbf, and an effective range of 1,000+yards. For close quarters shots, I would prefer the Remington 1100 12 gauge semi-automatic tactical shotgun. It holds eight rounds of 2.75 inch rounds. I'd alternate between Brenneke slugs (1 1/3oz of lead with an effective range of 100 yards) and 12-pellet #00 buckshot. By the way, I used to live in Texas, and after that, Missouri, and deer hunting is the norm in both states. I even had a six-week hunter's safety course in junior high eighth grade, complete with accuracy test with a .22 pellet rifle at a distance of 50 yards. I came within 3mm of dead center with all 3 shots, making a ragged hole slightly larger than the diameter of my pinky finger.....oh, wait, I'm going off subject. Sorry 'bout that.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Your comment about the langer cartridge of the Garand is quite true, but I think in this case (battling xenomorphs) the AK-47 is a better optioon because, based on what we've seen in the films, the far larger amount of lead the AK can put downrange outweighs the differnece in the stopping power advantage of the .30-06 round.

That is, the stopping power of the M-1 is a presumably a greater advantage against people than against xenomorphs, which don't seem to care too much by the stopping power of a single round. In fact, this might be an instance of advantage for the venerable M-16 (or M-4 carbine) - even with is relatively small-diameter (5.56mm) round, the tumbling, more jagged entry wounds it creates may be of help against the aliens.

Maybe the new Kris SMG - a nearly recoilless, .45 (yes, that's right) SMG.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Or perhaps even an M-60, or better yet, the M-2 .50 BMG. Unfortunately, the latter is outlawed in the Sunshine State, so I'll have to go to Nevada to pick one up. Believe it or not, our fine Governator outlawed them (can you believe the irony!?), and in response, Barrett responded by saying since California outlawed them, they will no longer sell them to police or other state government officials or even provide maintenance for those previously sold to said police or government officials.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-