Why is there only one copy of the Doctor?

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

From what we know though, the Moriarty program achieved sentience without having special computer architecture built for him (The canon of Trek is such that for any example there is a counterexample, every theory has evidence thats both supports and discredits it. If Trek occurred in one universe, it is a universe brimming with paradoxes!)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:From what we know though, the Moriarty program achieved sentience without having special computer architecture built for him (The canon of Trek is such that for any example there is a counterexample, every theory has evidence thats both supports and discredits it. If Trek occurred in one universe, it is a universe brimming with paradoxes!)
I was actually thinking that this sort of matrix might be necessary to any holographic setup that thinks to mimic humans, which is why the Doctor can show up anywhere there are holoprojectors. Arguably, the Doctor was not designed to be sentient either, at first. Moriarty wasn't, but because of the nature of the program and the underlying special hardware, he was able to.

Of course, that leaves out the time the SHIP became sentient. I don't know what to say to that.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

hmmm...specialized equipment to run an EMH. That makes sense. Like how many modern cars have more processing power then the Apollo ships, but you couldn't just plug the processor into the Eagle. I imagine the EMH program has to be more advanced then the holograms computer normally has to project. Some sort of universal adapter, which could be built into the back-up module may be necessary for Federation computers to run the program. I doubt it's the perfect solution, but it makes sense and explains a lot.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Why are you saying such things in a Voy thread? :?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, there are some things that can be said in a VOY thread that do make sense. For example: "Janeway is an idiot." :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I meant about the show, duh! :lol:

But really, I think the only two things that Voy got right was that 7 of 9 looked really good in tight clothing and the Doctor was just an awsome character.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Now now, I'm sure there were other good things. I mean, the Borg....no, wait. Some of the episodes....no. The characters were very......uh, nope. The ending of the series......okay, I give up, you have me there. :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:The characters were very......uh, nope.
Change that to character, singular, and you'd have found something good - the Doctor. His entire attitude came across as "how the frak did this bunch of idiots get given a starship". An attitude I think most people would sympathise with.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Now now, I'm sure there were other good things. I mean, the Borg....no, wait. Some of the episodes....no. The characters were very......uh, nope. The ending of the series......okay, I give up, you have me there. :)
The ship was cool. And the ending was perfect for the series. They got home and pulled up their most common plot devices to create one of their best episodes. What more could you ask for?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:The ship was cool. And the ending was perfect for the series. They got home and pulled up their most common plot devices to create one of their best episodes. What more could you ask for?
Exactly - they pulled out all the plot devices. Time travel, check. Borg, check. Uber-tech, check. Plus chucking a few doosras like the Seven/Chakotay pairing and Tuvok's illness. As plot ideas they were fine, but in true Voyager style they weren't developed - bringing them up in the last episode is exactly the same mentality as doing x, y & z and then hitting the reset button at the end of the episode. It wa a decent episode by Voyager standards, but that's not saying much.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:The ship was cool. And the ending was perfect for the series. They got home and pulled up their most common plot devices to create one of their best episodes. What more could you ask for?
Exactly - they pulled out all the plot devices. Time travel, check. Borg, check. Uber-tech, check. Plus chucking a few doosras like the Seven/Chakotay pairing and Tuvok's illness. As plot ideas they were fine, but in true Voyager style they weren't developed - bringing them up in the last episode is exactly the same mentality as doing x, y & z and then hitting the reset button at the end of the episode. It wa a decent episode by Voyager standards, but that's not saying much.
You can't start deveoloping characters in the last episode. If they did that their would be a movement for more Voyager episodes or even a movie. Do you want that to happen?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:You can't start deveoloping characters in the last episode. If they did that their would be a movement for more Voyager episodes or even a movie. Do you want that to happen?
Whether or not it's a good thing is open to debate, that fact that it happened isn't.

Voyager did it several times - start getting some decent character development and then hit the reset button. It's telling that two of the best Voyager episodes were "Year of Hell" and "Timeless" - two of the most prominent reset-button episodes.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

They should've just destroyed the timeship and let the series continue with the gathering of the scattered crew and repairing the ship. That could've been a good story arc. Voyager should've had more story arcs.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Voyager should've had more story arcs.
I think that's more or less what Seafort is saying.