The Doctor's mobile emitter

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

They do. When Reed and Trip were detected aboard the Rommie drone, didn't the Rommies turn off life support?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well, even if they could turn up the gravity that could wreak havoc with equipment and crewman in nearby sections of the ship. As for a holo-crew, I doubt that would work. Just another thing that conviniatly goes off-line during an emergency that requires a person to really risk their lives.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:They do. When Reed and Trip were detected aboard the Rommie drone, didn't the Rommies turn off life support?
:shock:
Wow, inteligent tactics from Trek!
Blackstar wrote:Well, even if they could turn up the gravity that could wreak havoc with equipment and crewman in nearby sections of the ship.
True, but in a last ditch situation against a foe trying to take you alive or take the ship intact, you'd really have nothing to lose.
And I did mean turn the gravity up on sections your people weren't in. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That happened in an ep of Andromida.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I just remembered! It also happened in the Enterprise series' Mirror Universe. The Gorn slaver was pinned to the ground during a fight with mirror Archer by increasing the gravity.
Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the MU was just smarter than the normal universe of Trek. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Deepcrush wrote:That happened in an ep of Andromida.
I remember that. One of those Rommie/Andromeda goes crazy episodes. I think that was the only one in season 5, unless you count the one where Rommie and Doyle were fighting. That was a fun series.

I don't think gravity could be turned up too high without creating serious problems in most sections of the ship. Gravity is sort of like magnets. Even if a magnet is focused in one area, other metal objects will be pulled in. (I saw it on Monk) Gravity is the same way, but instead of metal it attracts mass(if I understand it correctly) You may accidentaly pull in power conduits and loose equipment. Maybe for emergencys but I doubt it could be regularly used like that. And I doubt it could go up too high, but then again we have no idea how artificial gravity works so that's all really speculation.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:
Mikey wrote:They do. When Reed and Trip were detected aboard the Rommie drone, didn't the Rommies turn off life support?
:shock:
Wow, inteligent tactics from Trek!
Well the Romulans have always been more intelligent than your average Trek individual (not that that's saying much of course).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh the Mirror universe is way smarter than the normal one. Look at what they achived.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Oh the Mirror universe is way smarter than the normal one. Look at what they achived.
They lost to a group that made the Maquis look like a powerful force, despite being far stronger militarilly than the Federation, thus proving that the TNG+ stupidity syndrome applies there as well.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

ChakatBlackstar wrote: I don't think gravity could be turned up too high without creating serious problems in most sections of the ship. Gravity is sort of like magnets. Even if a magnet is focused in one area, other metal objects will be pulled in. (I saw it on Monk) Gravity is the same way, but instead of metal it attracts mass(if I understand it correctly) You may accidentaly pull in power conduits and loose equipment. Maybe for emergencys but I doubt it could be regularly used like that. And I doubt it could go up too high, but then again we have no idea how artificial gravity works so that's all really speculation.
In modern day physics that's true, but completely not true on a Starship. Gravity on starships is unidirectional and is directed whatever way they want it. As shown by the fact people aren't pulled up to the ceiling (the floor of the deck above) by that's gravity plating. And how, when stood at the very front of the ship, you aren't pulled towards the back due to there being more 'gravity' (plating) behind you than infront. As there is clearly no inverse square law in place with gravity on starships, the entire gravitational law doesn't apply. So that could be done.

Things like turning off life support are just so simple, though. Like in Nemesis - why not just set up forcefields at each end and trap them, then turn off life support! Or, as has been done a few times on Voyager, send out an anesthetic to put them to sleep. Better still, beam them into space.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Thorin wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote: I don't think gravity could be turned up too high without creating serious problems in most sections of the ship. Gravity is sort of like magnets. Even if a magnet is focused in one area, other metal objects will be pulled in. (I saw it on Monk) Gravity is the same way, but instead of metal it attracts mass(if I understand it correctly) You may accidentaly pull in power conduits and loose equipment. Maybe for emergencys but I doubt it could be regularly used like that. And I doubt it could go up too high, but then again we have no idea how artificial gravity works so that's all really speculation.
In modern day physics that's true, but completely not true on a Starship. Gravity on starships is unidirectional and is directed whatever way they want it. As shown by the fact people aren't pulled up to the ceiling (the floor of the deck above) by that's gravity plating. And how, when stood at the very front of the ship, you aren't pulled towards the back due to there being more 'gravity' (plating) behind you than infront. As there is clearly no inverse square law in place with gravity on starships, the entire gravitational law doesn't apply. So that could be done.

Things like turning off life support are just so simple, though. Like in Nemesis - why not just set up forcefields at each end and trap them, then turn off life support! Or, as has been done a few times on Voyager, send out an anesthetic to put them to sleep. Better still, beam them into space.
Why beam them into space? Just let the pattern degrade in the buffer and then vent the mass. Or, I suppose, beam them into space on a wide dispersal pattern.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thorin wrote:

Good points but normal gravity laws could still apply. Now before you roll you eyes and call me crazy, hear me out. Now the inertia dampeners prevent people from going squishy against the back wall everytime the ship goes to warp. I don't think it would be too difficult to compensate for gravitational issues on ships with gravity plating.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

What does it matter whether the gravitation effects simply don't occur with gravity plating or they're cancelled out by inertial dampers? The end result is the same, and so they would still be able to use the plating as a weapon, as Archer did.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Archer only used it in a very small space though. Using ti in a larger area could screw with structual stability.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Teaos wrote:Archer only used it in a very small space though. Using ti in a larger area could screw with structual stability.
Modern day materials can withstand 10,000 g and above. There is no danger of the ship having any problem with 20 g - enough to kill someone if sustained for a few seconds, or 100 g - enough to kill someone instantly.

Chakat, the inertial dampers are gravity plating. They are adjustable. So when you accelerate forward, instead of splatting on the backwall, the gravity plating infront of you increases so you stay in the middle. If it increased too much (by accident) - you'd go splat on the front wall, even when accelerating forward!
There aren't any gravitational issues to sort out - normal gravity laws don't apply on Starships, and as Seafort said - gravity plating can be used as a weapon with no detrimental effects to anyone or anything (except the target... obviously :wink: ).