Why so many classes of ship?

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

How would restoring someone to full health be unethical?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It would be almost like immortality.

Generally anything like that would be considered immoral.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

How would giving someone extended life be immoral?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe because it is un natural. People have a set time to live. I'm not talking in a religious sense. Curing a desease or fixing an injury is heloing someone reach their natural end. If someone dies and you restore them it is cheating.

I would support the system (I want to live forever) but that is why I think the federation doesnt do it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*shrug*
I still don't see it, but however. Lets not get into a philosphical debate. :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah might not be wise. :)

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Agreed, there has to be a good reason (other than the obvious thought that it pretty much eliminates some stories from a writing perspective...) that the Federation doesn't do this, and whatever our philosophies tell us now may or may not be the philosophical reasons employed then...

But the fact that no power with fewer moral scruples has done this might imply that there is a problem with that methodology. (which in my opinion speaks rather poorly of Unnatural Selection, rather than medical ethics...)
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, there's probably a reason they don't. Otherwise I can see the klingons and romulans doing it all the time.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I don't think the Klingons would. Takes away from a honorable death. The Romulans might but remember if you die someone has to bring you back which the Romulans may not want to do being the bastard they are :)

One reason may be because of data storage. Think of the HUGE amount of data we are all made up of. The transporter may only be able to temporarily hold the data of a few people and storing everyone in the Federation would take a insane amount of Hard drive space. I know they have more advanced computers but the amount of data is mind blowing.

Thus they can't do it for everyone and it would cause civil unrest doing it only for the important people. All people are created equal so why should they get it and not us?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

And good point with the computers, too. So (should a race want to do this and assuming there is no OTHER problem with it), they would be left with everyone having a DNA backup somewhere (say, a facility kind of like a "seed bank" of today, or the Titan from Titan AE...) if it would work for a reasonable number of people.

Right about the civil unrest idea. (especially if it is a relatively cheap process) Have you ever read the short story "Diary of an Immortal Man"? (or some such title) :?: Very neat take on the idea.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Haven't even heard of it. Doesn't sound like the type of thing I usually read.

It would be even worse in the Federation. The Federation stands for everyone having equal rights. Thus there is no way you could pull this off and only give it to a few.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, I can't see people like Picard and other like minded people taking to that easily.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

So I guess that leaves us with a problem with the process, the risks of which were assumed to be acceptable in that one situation with Pulaski. Otherwise, it is not safe/not effective/not cheap/not available/not moral/not honorable....etc. :!:

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

More than enough plausible excuses to keep me content.