Abandon ship!....err, planet.

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Abandon ship!....err, planet.

Post by McAvoy »

Back to the original topic.

Anyone watch the two seasons of Life after People? Basically a show not about how or why people left but what happens to Earth and all man's stuff afterwards.

Basically from what I understand, pretty much the only thing that will survive is something made of stone or other minerals. Anything built out of metal (except for gold of course) will corrode, crumble into dust. So we go by the way of the ancients and build something out of granite for example. Look at the Roman Empire or the Pyramids. They may be ruins but they're ruins because of man did it (with the exception of the occasional earthquake).
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I belive I saw the one or two hour long de facto pilot thing, never knew it was a series aswell. As I recall it was quite intresting.
Bite my shiny metal ass
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Think that's all i saw too
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah two seasons of about 10 or 12 twelve episodes each. Each dealing with certain aspects only touched upon in the pilot. Like what happens to pets for example. Or our food or so called time capsules.

Very interesting series. Makes you think. For example, can't really send anything to space because of all the crap in space will beat down even the toughest materials to make them unuseable.

The pyramids for example are literally a pile of rocks and will last for millions of years until they are reclaimed by the Earth itself by erosion, earthquakes, etc. Mount Rushmore and that Confederate equivilant will last a long time as well.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:The pyramids for example are literally a pile of rocks and will last for millions of years until they are reclaimed by the Earth itself by erosion, earthquakes, etc. Mount Rushmore and that Confederate equivalent will last a long time as well.
The Confederacy had a Mount Rushmore? :? Where did they fine the time, money or manpower to do that?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

From a quick google search there's this (it's wiki so not techincally a source but it should do.)
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yep that's what I meant. Obviously the CSA didn't make it.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

The Confederacy is in control of another Command Post! (sorry obscure SW Battlefront 2 reference there)
ImageImage
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

There's a chance that one day, 'someone' out there will eventually find the Voyagers?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

thelordharry wrote:There's a chance that one day, 'someone' out there will eventually find the Voyagers?
The vulcans maybe? But then, will we peacefully meet or will there be violence.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

thelordharry wrote:There's a chance that one day, 'someone' out there will eventually find the Voyagers?
Actually in the series they dealt with that. By the time they the Voyagers reach or is picked up by aliens it will be too badly damaged for the record to be used. But maybe they can trace it back to us.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

McAvoy wrote: By the time they the Voyagers reach or is picked up by aliens it will be too badly damaged for the record to be used. But maybe they can trace it back to us.
But couldn't, theoretically, aliens pick it up at anytime, or would we have data from the probes to suggest them coming?
Last edited by Griffin on Mon May 30, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

..or that. But what are the chances of that?
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Incredibly small, I'd imagine. And by the way, there's a typo in my post, I meant "aliens pick it up" instead of alliens pick it up, if that changes anything.
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tons. :poke:

Don't really think there is a Grammer Nazi in the forum.