Libya - Gaddafi refuses to quit amid protests

In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Libya - Gaddafi refuses to quit amid protests

Post by Captain Seafort »

Oh yeah? I seem to recall saying at the time that you elected the wrong bloke, although I must admit I didn't expect to be quite this right.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We did increase the competency of the White House. Of course, leaving it vacant would have increased the competency. Obama is better than his predecessor, but remember: the surest way to tell if someone is ill-qualified for a public office is by the fact that he wants public office.
Captain Seafort wrote:I hope the "cheese-eating surrender monkey" crowd takes note of who's standing off and launching cruise missiles and who's getting stuck in at considerably closer range.
#1 - If you mean "all Americans," I'll remind you who has a far greater historical animosity toward the French (and who, BTW, is inextricably intertwined with them at the same time.)

#2 - I did take note of that. I'll also remind you that discretion is the better part of valor, and that there's a difference between protecting one's own and giving up.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:We did increase the competency of the White House...Obama is better than his predecessor,
I've got doubt about that - at least Bush had the basic idea right, even if Rumsfeld royally fucked up the execution. I've yet to see Obama, left to his own devices, do anything but dither.
Captain Seafort wrote:I hope the "cheese-eating surrender monkey" crowd takes note of who's standing off and launching cruise missiles and who's getting stuck in at considerably closer range.
#1 - If you mean "all Americans,"
When I say the "cheese-eating surrender monkey" crowd, I mean exactly that, no more or less.
#2 - I did take note of that. I'll also remind you that discretion is the better part of valor, and that there's a difference between protecting one's own and giving up.
There's also a difference between getting steamrollered (repeatedly) and giving up.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I knew you'd have to come to the defense of the French, no matter any Anglo-Frankish rivalry. There's too much French blood in England. In any event, how exactly does fighting in a safer/smarter way = either giving up or getting steamrolled?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:I knew you'd have to come to the defense of the French, no matter any Anglo-Frankish rivalry. There's too much French blood in England. In any event, how exactly does fighting in a safer/smarter way = either giving up or getting steamrolled?
I come to the defence of the French to refute the steaming pile of bullshit, largely emanating from the US since 2003, insinuating that their less than impressive military record over recent decades is the result of cowardice, and to point out that a similarly superficial examination of events in Libya thus far would suggest that the French are the ones with the courage and the US are a bunch of cowards. Ergo, this should shut up the crowd who like to describe the French as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys", and who have historically tended to be from the US.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wow. For a guy who claims to like pissing on people, you don't often get it when you see it, do you? You know what? Even though people may say it, the French aren't all cowardly unhygienic assholes; the English aren't all dentally-impaired, dry twits; the Americans aren't all decadent, inbred, megalomaniacal sloths; etc., etc.

The idea of you being unable to see a joke for what it is notwithstanding; please tell me exactly how prosecuting warfare in a smarter or safer way = cowardly, or doing it in a more dangerous way when a better way is available = "more courageous."
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Wow. For a guy who claims to like pissing on people, you don't often get it when you see it, do you? You know what? Even though people may say it, the French aren't all cowardly unhygienic assholes; the English aren't all dentally-impaired, dry twits; the Americans aren't all decadent, inbred, megalomaniacal sloths; etc., etc.
Congratulations, you've demonstrated that, unlike an alarming number of your countrymen, you've got a positive IQ. Those who don't were the ones I was taking the piss out of.

Also, if you're going to crack jokes by text, it's a good idea to use smilies
The idea of you being unable to see a joke for what it is notwithstanding; please tell me exactly how prosecuting warfare in a smarter or safer way = cowardly, or doing it in a more dangerous way when a better way is available = "more courageous."
Try reading the post again.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I have, unfortunately I've asked the same question three different ways and still haven't gotten an answer.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

*UPDATE* Well, it's a moot point anyway, as CBS reported this morning that French, British, and U.S. aircraft were conducting strikes against Libyan airfields and such targets.
as Bull offed Custer
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Don't we have to...ya no, declare war before we go blow up a country?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

USSEnterprise wrote:Don't we have to...ya no, declare war before we go blow up a country?
Nope. Remember Korea?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
USSEnterprise wrote:Don't we have to...ya no, declare war before we go blow up a country?
Nope. Remember Korea?
Or, more appropriately/recently, Vietnam. I'd say this is more like Korea in that it is a UN sanctioned action... (as far as I know)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Three things... just to keep this brief so noone has to ask or assume any stupid ideas.

A, I have never respected the French... ever... don't plan to either.
B, I chalk this to the fact that I'm a racist and as they are a part of the Human race... I hate them.
C, I'm pretty sure a bomb landing on someone's head is just as clear a notice of war as a signed sheet of paper.

Just my thoughts to it.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Since the French and Italians rarely get involved with anything the UN sanctions, I think its pretty clear they want him gone.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nope. The only difference is that if we blow up a country without a declaration of war, it will have been done during peacetime. ;)
as Bull offed Custer