Android 2.1

kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Re: Android 2.1

Post by kostmayer »

I like a bigger screen size too. I make about 5 calls a month on mine, mostly from my home. My main use is texting and mobile internet, and a media player at a pinch.

I'm seriously considering getting a Dell Streak after Xmas. Little 5 inch tablet thingy. Just small enough to carry around everywhere, though I reckon you really would look a wally holding one up to your ear to make a call on.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Be careful, the Android version is 1.6. A lot of the App support for 1.6 is limited.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:I didn't mean the screen of the former iPhone. I meant the phone itself.
I was specifically referring to the screen. Thus my confusion on your response.
As to the screen size, good for you. The Desire is in physical dimensions are very similar, with the Desire being merely 10mm longer and the odd millimetre in width or depth. Regardless, its personal choice. Many love the HTC HD2 which is a 4.3 inch screen.
So does it have a larger screen or not, I'm confused, you said it did. Are you now saying it doesn't?
As the majority of people charge their phone once a day regardless (as my parents did with iPhone 3GS they owned, i might add), hence the battery life while I admit readily the iPhone has an advantage, for the overwhelming majority isn't of importance.
Ah, I see the majority of people don't have friends and don't go away for the weekend. I certainly do and I don't now need to take a charger with me. When I was in Venice a few weeks ago (on holiday) I had the phone on all the time I was there (a week) and I only had to charge it once. Granted I didn't use it for much. A phone that needs charging every day is a pita, I know, I used to have to do this with my iPhone 3G. It's not the battery alone, it's the OS that's wasting the battery.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Point on battery.

Sorry, I didnt realise I was being confusing. Screen is 3.7 inch AMOLED compared to 3.5 inch "Retina" (high resolution LCD). The Desire's dimensions are 119x60x11.9 (mm) compared to 114x59x9mm. Very little difference in physical dimensions, but the .2 of an inch make a significant one.

As for the weekend things, no. The friends I have (being of a younger generation perhaps) TAKE their charger with them. We don't go away because my parents have no need for holidays, and even if we did I'd take a charger regardless.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

In a bizarre twist of fate, my Mrs wants an Iphone 4 for her birthday next week which I bought last night (outright, £480). When I get my HTC (with or without qwerty) soon, I'll be able to do a like for like comparison.

As for the Iphone, pah :) :

Source

IPHONE users are set to return to their usual sobbing, foetal state with the release of IOS4.1.

The new operating system promises more inventive ways of reducing phones to an unresponsive lump of plastic costing more than your first car.

Apple obergruppenfuhrer Steve Jobs said: "We calculated that the soul-destroying horror of IOS4 had just started to fade in people's minds and they were probably starting to piece together the remnants of their shattered lives, so it seemed the perfect time to fuck some shit up.

"New features include a small, mechanical hand that pops out every hour and flips you the bird and a pair of feet that sprint toward the pocket of the nearest mugger.

"It makes your phone look like the 1970s children's cartoon Ludwig. And yes, the fact that you can't understand that simile without looking it up on your iPhone was intentional, you dreary scum."

Iphonologist, Wayne Hayes, said: "This is a continuation of Apple's protracted campaign to demonstrate just how much they soul-deep hate you. Perversely, the more of their products you buy, the more contempt they have for you.

"If Apple eventually become the real-life equivalent of Cyberdyne Systems - and I'm not suggesting for a single second that they won't - the Terminators will automatically look like the sleek traffic cop version rather than the lumpy racist one.

"The big difference will be that Apple's Terminator won't be compatible with any other machine on the planet, will be covered in deep scratches after eight minutes' and will run out of battery after 30 seconds of sprinting after John Connor."

Meanwhile, Martin Bishop has asked his iPhone what he has done to upset it so much. Kneeling outside the Apple store in central London, he cried: "Just yesterday I finally managed to replace all the photos and the phone numbers and was hoping to move on with my life - now you want to destroy it all again. Are you a phone or my ex-wife?"
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Whatever you do, Don't buy the Samsung Galaxy S. What an awful lump thats been. Slow, unresponsive, and doing anything with the provided PC software is literally impossible, including update it to android 2.2.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Reliant121 wrote:Whatever you do, Don't buy the Samsung Galaxy S. What an awful lump thats been. Slow, unresponsive, and doing anything with the provided PC software is literally impossible, including update it to android 2.2.
Hmmmmm.

Galaxy, awful lump, slow, unresponsive, impossible to do anything...

Hmmmmmmmmm.
to have succeeded.”
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

They knew what they were looking for in a name... :laughroll:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:Point on battery.

Sorry, I didnt realise I was being confusing. Screen is 3.7 inch AMOLED compared to 3.5 inch "Retina" (high resolution LCD). The Desire's dimensions are 119x60x11.9 (mm) compared to 114x59x9mm. Very little difference in physical dimensions, but the .2 of an inch make a significant one.
I can't see 0.2" making a different but I'll take your work for it. Where as double the resolution does make a very significant difference.
As for the weekend things, no. The friends I have (being of a younger generation perhaps) TAKE their charger with them. We don't go away because my parents have no need for holidays, and even if we did I'd take a charger regardless.
Yes, when you get older you will realise the error of your ways. Sure you can take a charger, but then you have to fight for the use of the adapter (hint not all countries use the same plug as you do, in fact none do). There are more important things to worry about when you are on holiday than making sure you charge your phone, like enjoying ones holiday. :) It's not about the technology it's about not having to worry about the technology.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

thelordharry wrote:In a bizarre twist of fate, my Mrs wants an Iphone 4 for her birthday next week which I bought last night (outright, £480). When I get my HTC (with or without qwerty) soon, I'll be able to do a like for like comparison.

As for the Iphone, pah :) :

Source

IPHONE users are set to return to their usual sobbing, foetal state with the release of IOS4.1.

The new operating system promises more inventive ways of reducing phones to an unresponsive lump of plastic costing more than your first car.

Apple obergruppenfuhrer Steve Jobs said: "We calculated that the soul-destroying horror of IOS4 had just started to fade in people's minds and they were probably starting to piece together the remnants of their shattered lives, so it seemed the perfect time to f**k some s**t up.

"New features include a small, mechanical hand that pops out every hour and flips you the bird and a pair of feet that sprint toward the pocket of the nearest mugger.

"It makes your phone look like the 1970s children's cartoon Ludwig. And yes, the fact that you can't understand that simile without looking it up on your iPhone was intentional, you dreary scum."

Iphonologist, Wayne Hayes, said: "This is a continuation of Apple's protracted campaign to demonstrate just how much they soul-deep hate you. Perversely, the more of their products you buy, the more contempt they have for you.

"If Apple eventually become the real-life equivalent of Cyberdyne Systems - and I'm not suggesting for a single second that they won't - the Terminators will automatically look like the sleek traffic cop version rather than the lumpy racist one.

"The big difference will be that Apple's Terminator won't be compatible with any other machine on the planet, will be covered in deep scratches after eight minutes' and will run out of battery after 30 seconds of sprinting after John Connor."

Meanwhile, Martin Bishop has asked his iPhone what he has done to upset it so much. Kneeling outside the Apple store in central London, he cried: "Just yesterday I finally managed to replace all the photos and the phone numbers and was hoping to move on with my life - now you want to destroy it all again. Are you a phone or my ex-wife?"
:)
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've just done a test of the new HTC sync which works with any Euro android 2.1/android 2.2 phone (like the legend, Desire, the new Desire Z thing etc.) and it works perfectly with outlook contacts as well as media syncing with windows media player or itunes.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

So a few new Android phones announced by HTC today:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/35638/h ... to-gallery

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/35637/h ... y-launched

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/htc- ... -hands-on/

That qwerty HTC I was lusting after (Desire Z)? You know, I'm going to go with the straight-up Desire. Mechanical parts = eventual failure and I see the processor is 800Mhz rather than the 1Ghz of the Desire. Maybe in 18 months time when it's time for a renewal, the Android qwerty market will have matured a bit and offer something better.
to have succeeded.”
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd gladly sacrifice for a 800ghz but my phone barely ever leaves my hands from texting/tweeting/facebook/msn'ing and a hardware keyboard would be ideally suited for my needs. However, I'm sure the Desire will do you proud!
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Hooray! So it turned up this morning and I'm all up and running.

Man, it's going to take me a while to really get up to speed with this thing's full capabilities. It's such a far cry from anything I've owned before (Sybian then WM devices) that I'm going to have to self-teach an old dog news tricks :) I imagine it's still 2.1 (read somewhere that T-Mobile are releasing 2.2 within a few weeks) so I won't go learning crazy until it's upgraded.....but what an waffly big adventure it'll be :)
to have succeeded.”
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

from what I can tell, the new software version's updates didn't change that much in the normal user experience, its mostly background stuff. Go ahead and explore.