Star Trek: Excalibur

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Excalibur

Post by Atekimogus »

Tyyr wrote: I could not disagree more. Sure, you have to learn how to use the camera and all but if you can't deal with a 30 minute learning curve you should probably stick to games like Serious Sam.
I actually beat the game (Homeworld) but the controls where just unimaginative imho.

Tyyr wrote:If the 3D element seems pointless then I'd suggest the problem was with you and not the game. Many of the missions didn't make great use of the third dimension, though some did, but where it really shined was in multiplayer.
How old is Homeworld? Well suffice to say it has been awhile since I played it but what I remember is that I always thought....well, would have worked also in 2d. The use you could make (at least in single player) of the 3d enviroment was very limited. Also did I happen to stumble on a touchy subject here?
Tyyr wrote:If you didn't make use of the third dimension then sucks to be you because the people who did were going to do things to you rarely seen outside of a state prison.
Excuse me, but when all is said and done it wasn't more than your classical rock, paper, scissor RTS where tactical depth is concerned. Since relative distance between units is basically the same in 2d and 3d I fail to see what difference it would make.

Skillfully maneauvering my ships to surprise an enemy and have numerical advantage at one point is something I don't need 3d for. Sure it works so much better in 3d because most people just won't expect beeing attacked from below or above but against an average RTS player you soon find that rock, paper scissor still is the most important thing here.

Now I liked Homeworld, don't get me wrong but the SP missions didn't make use of the 3rd dimension and multiplayer could have worked with - I don't know, slower ships, more restricting hardpoints etc.... . It was nice, but I was not impressed and I always felt the "3d feature" is just the game forcing me to play it in "cinematic view" when good old 2d would have sufficed.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsu, I have Homeworld Catacylsm here, you want it?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm going to see about getting a prepaid credit card soon, so I'll find a copy. Thanks, though. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Don't want to be a thread-necromancer but there are quite a few new videos up and at least the engine demos are looking better and better, I am really looking forward to this.

Here is a nice video about deffered lighting (and a nice size comparision of two popular ships:)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ExcaliburGa ... lp6hyjzal0

I mean just compare the models they use to the ones from Star Trek Online.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That looks pretty awesome.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Do they have a schedule for that?

I just loved B.C., and a modern version of that with real physics and decent graphics just makes me :Drool1:
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, if it was basically a bc that was modified to look better and was as customizable as bc was then I would go for it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

I wouldn't say no to a new storyline either.

A good one, as that.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I honestly could care less, if it was just a free roam blow ships up in free play style like the quick battles in BC were, I would love that.
The world ended

SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Nickswitz wrote:I honestly could care less, if it was just a free roam blow ships up in free play style like the quick battles in BC were, I would love that.
How about a Campaign editor?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That might be fun, depending on how easy it is to use.
The world ended

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I want...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.