My Ship Designs

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote:Does the Federation have ZPE tech?
I was under the impression that ZPE was basically the principle that quantum torpedoes are based around, in Trek-tech. Never heard of it used in a beam, though.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

thatr Galaxy upgrade was done very well, but would the top view really be so much like a Sovereign saucer/ Personally, I on't think so. This saucer seems almost perfectly circular. However, The Galaxy class saucer was originally epiliptical, if I remember correctly. Would it really be cst-effective to change the shape that radically?

NOTE: I am not criticizing you, I am criticizing your design. I am not just saying a ship isn;t good enough, I am saying a ship can be better. I am not much of a person who just says: nice ship, dude.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I personally like the design, but I don't really see it as an upgrade of the Galaxy. There are so many changes, I think it is not cost effective. Consider, they have to remove the original structure and then build new structure for the new design, especially for the saucer and engineering hull. It would be far more efficient just to build the ship all-new.

So as a new class, I love it. But not as a refit.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I second DBS, although feeling obliged to reference to the constitution upgrade, xince they "built a new ship over the bones of an old one".

Cncerning the term 'cost effective' The Federation has no money, and thus I thnk it should be placed in a new perspective. Would it be worth the resources? Perhaps, but only the services performed by this ship might justify the resources poured into this project. Will it be capable of fulfilling that obligation to outperform itself and thus 'gaining back' the resources used for the upgrade?
Dean Martlou
Master chief petty officer

Post by Dean Martlou »

shran wrote:Cncerning the term 'cost effective' The Federation has no money, and thus I thnk it should be placed in a new perspective. Would it be worth the resources? Perhaps, but only the services performed by this ship might justify the resources poured into this project. Will it be capable of fulfilling that obligation to outperform itself and thus 'gaining back' the resources used for the upgrade?
which is to say, "will it be cost-effective?"
Oops.

I shouldn't have told you that last part.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Well, yeah. By "cost effective" I meant resources and manpower. If you have to build something from the ground up ANYWAY, why not just start in the clear rather than having to tear something apart in order to put the new stuff in.

To me it would be far simpler to scrap/demolish the Galaxy completely (except for the few components that will be used later - keep those aside) and melt down/deconstruct the rest for resources. Use those resources to replicate the new parts, and then re-install the parts that you could actually save. (Kind of like razing a building and keeping the cabinets for use in the new structure... Still easier than a re-model that requires tearing everything out anyway.)

JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Beingh cost effective has no meaning in the Federation. Industrial Replicators solved that problem.
Dean Martlou

Post by Dean Martlou »

you still need mass to work with.
Oops.

I shouldn't have told you that last part.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And where does that mass come from?
You still need to get it, process it, (possibly) supply power to the replicators, hire people to work the replicators, etc.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I'm just saying that it's easier to build something from scratch than to tear something apart and then re-build it. That's it! :oops: Sure, they COULD find all the material they wanted, but even if you had enough lying around for the refit, why not scrap the original and use that to build the refit and just make a new ship instead!

Just because the Federation has no money (technically... :wink: ) doesn't mean economics no longer apply. Sure, it is easy enough to build things that people don't care about cost per se, but there are more efficient choices than others.

If only because of the completeness of the change in the design, (i.e, practically no components at all shared), it would be easier to just build this ship new than re-build a Galaxy in that way.

Bernd
Petty officer first class
Petty officer first class

Post by Bernd »

I like the Galaxy refit a lot. Maybe it is more like a re-interpretation of the original design though. Something like the Galaxy would look if the ship had been designed more recently (and rather by Drexler/Eaves than by Andy Probert). Still, it could never change the way I feel for the original galaxy. :P
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Sovereign Refit
Builders/Owners: Federation Starfleet
Crew: 855
Commissioned: 2380-?
Role: High Deterrence Explorer

Dimensions
Length: 680m
Height: 88m
Width: 240m

Armaments
20 Type XII Phaser Arrays: 125,000 TW
4 Type 4 Burst Fire Photon Torpedo Tubes: 300
4 Standard Photon Torpedo Tubes: 300
2 Rapid Fire Quantum Torpedo Tubes: 350

Defenses
Regenerative Shield System: 6,842,500 TJ
15cm thick Ablative Armor
High Tritanium/Duranium Double Hull
High Power SIF

Warp Speeds
Normal Cruise: 9.6
Maximum Cruise: 9.975
Max Rated: 9.99 for 40 hours

Unit Run
USS Sovereign NCC-73811
USS Enterpise NCC-1701-E
USS Seattle NCC-75382
USS Missouri NCC-77892
USS Independence NCC-90346
USS Republic NCC-73856
USS Gibraltar NCC-75689
USS Davis NCC-74222
USS Sentinel NC-75058
USS Yorktown NCC-90276

History: The Sovereign Class was refitted again in 2380 after the Battle of the Bassen Rift to be able to take on bigger, badder threats. Some of the changes were an aft quantum torpedo tube, increased torpedo armament, increased # of phaser arrays, a better Warp Core, Regenerative shields, and new biocrystalline computer packs to speed up processing power. The Sovs also got better sensors and Helium-3 Fusion Reactors to power all of the systems. The most suprising change however wasn't the technology, but a different paint scheme. The new Sovereign class has also spare warp core components to replace a destroyed Warp Core if the first was destroyed or stolen. Overall, the new Sovs have led an uneventful service life except for the Battle of the Azure nebula in which the Borg attempted to build a transwarp hub to make assimilation of the Alpha Quadrant easier. The hub was destroyed and and the borg fleet repelled by a Federation/Klingon/Romulan/Ferengi task fleet. The new Warp Core allows the Sovereign class to maintain a maximum cruise speed of Warp 9.975 for ease. The Regenerative Shields were a variant of the Prometheus class system meant to be able to handle the power of the the new reactors.
Last edited by JudgeKing on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Drake Zure wrote:i've never seen a Galaxy Class i liked.

until now.

i'm sorry i didn't read this thread earlier.
I wouldn't say I didn't like the old ones, but that is an absolutely beautiful refit. Remarkably done, and looks so majestic. Truthfully, it seems like it would require a complete redesign to the space frame, so as a refit it might be wholly impractical. But my god, what a beautiful ship!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Drake Zure wrote:i've never seen a Galaxy Class i liked.

until now.

i'm sorry i didn't read this thread earlier.
I wouldn't say I didn't like the old ones, but that is an absolutely beautiful refit. Remarkably done, and looks so majestic. Truthfully, it seems like it would require a complete redesign to the space frame, so as a refit it might be wholly impractical. But my god, what a beautiful ship!
Thank you.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's not as if Starfleet doesn't have a track record of completely dismantling ships and then rebuilding them from the keel up - they did it with the Connie, and I can see them doing it with the Galaxy to produce this ship. Indeed, there's real-world precident for such an extensive rebuild, with the Italian battleships refits of the 30s.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.