Some Coalition Uniforms

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Some Coalition Uniforms

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Good idea, I'll do a balaclava style face covering and maybe snow goggles too.

Any other significant variations people think we should see? I'm trying for a powered armour paratrooper suit at the moment, but it's going a little slowly.
I'd suggest issuing the combat uniform with night/low-vis vision equipment - I believe that's the case now, so I can't see that disappearing in the future.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm thinking of having sensors either built into or attachable to the helmet.

Marine Gym Kit..

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I'm thinking of having sensors either built into or attachable to the helmet.
Right ho. Are you thinking of using the faceplate as a HUD?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
shran wrote:you might want to include a face mask in the arctic gear. Arctic means it's opstly quite coldout there, and as such, your face puts out a lot of heat. the uniform could keep in the energy much more efficient by putting a face mask in there, because then less warmth can escape.
Good idea, I'll do a balaclava style face covering and maybe snow goggles too.

Any other significant variations people think we should see? I'm trying for a powered armour paratrooper suit at the moment, but it's going a little slowly.
Heavy powered armor? Think "Elementals" from MechWarrior (If you're not familiar, they're giant suits with onboard weaponry and special short-burn boosters that allow them to make huge "jumps") google one if you want to see. The suit needs to be 100% armor plated, and cover the user entirely, and contain either its own power generation system or an extensive power supply that can be easily recharged or replaced in the field.

Generally I'd say the user would wear a very thin body suit covered in sensors and a neural uplink to help control the finer motions such as picking something up or closing a hand with making a fist...or firing a non-integrated weapon.

I'm going to assume that the powered armor could also be used or fitted for use in a vaccum? Which leads me to that - what about equipment for boarding actions, underwater operations, or extreemley hostile enviornments?
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'd be thinking of more body-conformal, vaguely Starship Troopers-style (the book, obviously.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's going to be two grades of powered armour. One is essentially a suit that conforms to the body, one somewhat larger but nowhere near the size of the Mechwarrior types. I am thinking of something large enough to just accommodate a man in the head/torso section. Possibly with his legs poking through into the upper legs of the suit, with the lower legs being robotic. That would make it around ten to fifteen feet tall, which seems about right.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Inspirations for the lighter suit :

Inspirations for the heavier suit :

MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

I'm highly looking forward to this design, given your inspiration.

But if I may...

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Spa/5972/mecha.html is the source, and there's alot more to be had on there that might take your fancy. Just thought I'd give you that for additional reference, if you want it.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

You might want to make a vacuum / void variation of both types of armored suits. While I assume they'd be MOPP6 (or whatever) capable thrusting jets and what not might be useful.

Heck going off that line Star Wars' EU has brought in dozens of kinds of Storm Troopers. From Aquadic troopers to volcano troopers to radiation environment troopers. While I don't think you need nearly as many as they do you might want to go down the list of Storm Troopers to see if there's something any of us missed.

Also, you missed gloves on your artic trooper :P Though personally I don't think gloves and a mask are needed. I got the impression that kind of gear was implied and the suit we saw was what they'd be wearing inside before addons were put in. For an example jungle suits I'm sure would have a gas mask with them as any uniform has today but that's more of an addon.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Done some updates on the pics. Rather than reposting them all here, you can find them all on this page.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Done some updates on the pics. Rather than reposting them all here, you can find them all on this page.
On your Marine Armored uniform if its a helmet they're wearing you might want to model it off of a modern army's helmet. Curved helmets can help deflect shrapnel or debris and by covering the ears you can protect them more and provide more cover to the base of the skull to help prevent brain damage.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Also on the deck crew uniforms what would you think about a headset? Decks are huge and being able to have a headset would help. I don't know if you'd want that to be considered part of the uniform or not but just a suggestion.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Monroe wrote:Also on the deck crew uniforms what would you think about a headset? Decks are huge and being able to have a headset would help. I don't know if you'd want that to be considered part of the uniform or not but just a suggestion.
There's earphones on it already. I was contemplating some sort of headset but my attempts to draw one so far have not been stellar.

Re helmets, I actually forgot to put the armoured uniform on there; the ones pictures are wearing a soft cap, somewhat like these. The armoured uniform I'm about to add shows the helmet and a ANBCN suit and mask.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I like that you haven't been to sci-fi snobby to keep one of the more common-sense conventions of modern RL wet navies; i.e., the color-coded vests for the flight-deck crew.

BYW, I appreciate the influence reference to WH40k power armor; but have you thought maybe a a variant like this, known as terminator armor?

a detail of a common right-arm add-on for terminators:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:I like that you haven't been to sci-fi snobby to keep one of the more common-sense conventions of modern RL wet navies; i.e., the color-coded vests for the flight-deck crew.
Hey, what makes sense makes sense. Even TNG did colour coding of uniforms :)

Thanks for the add on pic, looks interesting!