Stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say?

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say?

Post by Nickswitz »

I'm not sure what Mikey is speaking of, could you give me where it actually says that?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Actually, Bethlehem had two names. (according to any historian or Roman times)
Also, Heli and Jacob are the same person. (according to the Roman ancestry books, of which only fragments have survived)
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I can't quote passages, but there really is no reason in real life why the Bible should be expected to be self-consistent, given its fairly well-understood history. It is NOT a book which was ever intended to be read as a whole by the original authorS of its component gospels, but rather a collection of individual readings which had been distributed as separate entities in the early Christian world until a group of Christian leaders decided to put together a collection of the gospels, years after they were all written. In fact, the story gets even muddier when you consider the many other early Christian writings which were not included in the official Bible, which would offer even more contractions. Of the authors of the original gospels in question, none of these people are believed to have actually lived to see the actual person called Jesus of Nazareth, either; the gospels were written years after his crucifixion.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I knew this one gal who was convinced that if one jumped up and down after having unprotected sex, the "swimmers" would become disloged, thus avoiding or "canceling" pregnency :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

stitch626 wrote:Actually, Bethlehem had two names. (according to any historian or Roman times)
Also, Heli and Jacob are the same person. (according to the Roman ancestry books, of which only fragments have survived)
Oh? Care to provide evidence of that assertion?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Actually, Bethlehem had two names. (according to any historian or Roman times)
Oh? Care to provide evidence of that assertion?
Heli was Mary's father, and maternal grandfather of Jesus Christ. (Lu 3:23) Joseph's being called the "son of Heli" is understood to mean that he was the son-in-law of Heli. While not listing her, Luke evidently traces the natural descent of Jesus' mother Mary from David.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

mwhittington wrote:Luke evidently traces the natural descent of Jesus' mother Mary from David.
He'd kind of have to, otherwise there goes the whole "Messiah" thing.
Nickswitz wrote:I'm not sure what Mikey is speaking of, could you give me where it actually says that?
I'd love to, but I don't own a Christian Bible. My wife does, but I can't read Ukrainian or Old Slavonic. There are two Gospels which chronicle Jesus' birth, right? I was pretty certain that one mentioned him being born in Bethlehem and one in Nazareth.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and was raised in Nazareth. (Lu 2:51, 52) Both Joseph and Mary were residents of Nazareth when Gabriel announced the upcoming birth of Jesus. Later after their return from Egypt, they took up residence in Nazareth again. (Lu 2:39) Although Mary became pregnant in Nazareth, she gave birth to Jesus in Bethlehem.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

"How comes boats that are made out of metal don't sink?" George W Bush - 2008 :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"I know that the human being and the fish can coexist." - George W. Bush :laughroll:

Make The Pie Higher
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:shock:
Did Bush actually say those two things?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

stitch626 wrote::shock:
Did Bush actually say those two things?
Not sure about thelordharry's one, but he has said the quote I posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Jcrk6jGfo
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:bangwall:
Every time he speaks, something stupid comes out. They should've brought the duct tape.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

mwhittington wrote:Jesus was born in Bethlehem, and was raised in Nazareth. (Lu 2:51, 52) Both Joseph and Mary were residents of Nazareth when Gabriel announced the upcoming birth of Jesus. Later after their return from Egypt, they took up residence in Nazareth again. (Lu 2:39) Although Mary became pregnant in Nazareth, she gave birth to Jesus in Bethlehem.
As I said, I'm no expert on hte New Testament. But there was another Gospel besides Luke which chronicled Jesus' birth - where did that one say he was born?

BTW - I'm not trying to pick on Christianity. I'm merely using this as an example of why the Bible may be regarded as truth (as a basis of faith) but not historical fact.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:BTW - I'm not trying to pick on Christianity. I'm merely using this as an example of why the Bible may be regarded as truth (as a basis of faith) but not historical fact.
Well spoken. ditto (just to clarify my POV on the matter)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who