Terran Empire.
35%

Total votes: 17
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Mirror War of the Week

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Werent agonizers and the agony booth stolen tech from the Klingons? I'd always assumed so, since they had the same devices. I just assumed that tech was stolen from them prior to the theft of Defiant.
I don't recall any such statement regarding the agonisers, and the booth was Reed's personnal invention - one he was rather proud of.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:Werent agonizers and the agony booth stolen tech from the Klingons? I'd always assumed so, since they had the same devices. I just assumed that tech was stolen from them prior to the theft of Defiant.
I don't recall any such statement regarding the agonisers, and the booth was Reed's personnal invention - one he was rather proud of.
I think the agonisers were just mini versions of the booth, just like phones :lol:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Remember that this timeline crosses into the TMP era. There for the TE may have more ships but the UFP will have the new Excelsior Class ships. The war is pretty well balanced.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I don't think the agonizers or the agony booth are huge leaps forward in technology.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They also won't have an effect on the war.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:There for the TE may have more ships but the UFP will have the new Excelsior Class ships. The war is pretty well balanced.
And why wouldn't the MU have its own Excelsior-analogue? If they're close enough that the MU E-nil is virtually identical to the primary universe E-nil then they're certainly capable of it. If anything the MU should have a few Excelsiors, based on their construction apparantly being a few years ahead of the Feds.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

MU seems to be behind in tech when it comes down to it. Sure, we've seen they have a larger number of ships but we've never seen anything to make us think that they are more advanced.

Unless the MU has ever taken an Excelsior then I would expect them to have it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What makes you think they're behind in tech?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They don't seem to care much about the S/E end which has always been a key advantage for the UFP. I doubt they have any peaceful science ships running around. The MU races never seem up to par with the UFP-Uni. No cloak, poor hull design, still using slave labor for things that the normal universe has replicators for.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The S/E side of Starfleet has bugger-all to do with military technology - it helps expand their knowledge of the universe, but it doesn't help develop new weapons. As for the rest, the Feds don't have cloaks, the hull designs are identical to the "real" universe, and the "real" Cardies used slave labour on Terok Nor as well. There is no evidence whatsoever that the MU is less advanced, and some that they're more advanced - the agoniser and agony booth, which have never been seen duplicated despite the fact that the OO and the TS would love kit like that.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

No, the klingons should have had cloak. The TS and OO never crossed to the MU so they never would have had the chance to figure it all out. I was also talking about the TE using slave labor. Something that hasn't been needed in the UFP for well... ever!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:The TS and OO never crossed to the MU so they never would have had the chance to figure it all out.
That's not my point - the point is that they never developed anything like the MU's torture devices on their own. The best they could come up with was the device Picard was tortured with in Chain of Command, which had to be implanted.
I was also talking about the TE using slave labor. Something that hasn't been needed in the UFP for well... ever!
I don't recall the TE ever using slave labour. Conscription yes, in IAMD, but not for labour.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

A military-minded government like the TE would if anything have greater technolgical advancement in regards to materiel, if lesser in other fields.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That's not my point - the point is that they never developed anything like the MU's torture devices on their own. The best they could come up with was the device Picard was tortured with in Chain of Command, which had to be implanted.
That device seemed to work pretty damn well on its own. That and the TS had that mind reading device. Again we never saw anything close to that in the MU.
I don't recall the TE ever using slave labour. Conscription yes, in IAMD, but not for labour.
It would seem a fair enough that since the Terrans ruled over Bajor in a similar manner that the CU did that slave labor would be involved. This is only a thought of mine, not saying its cannon, just fits.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That and the TS had that mind reading device. Again we never saw anything close to that in the MU.
That was in TNG, though. Not TOS. It's not surprising that a faction a century into the future has tech the TOS MU doesn't.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"