Ablative armor

Voyager
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Also consider the fact that the armor came from far into the future, so power efficeny could have been supremely high (and its likely it was design to be, as it is a combat-essential system).
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh, and for all we know the stuff is as thin as tissue paper so the whole hull has a tiny volume.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point. We never actually got a good look at it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

As for where it came from I said before that they could of just gone past a astroid belt and beamed a bunch of matter on.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm...
Could you just beam parts of wrecked enemy ships on and use the replicators to turn it into armour?
That would be usefull.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Don't see why not. The generators dematerialize the matter you want used then reforms it into the armor you want. Any sustance would work but some would be better than others.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*visualises federation warships tearing chunks out of the hulls of enemy starships and using to create constantly repairing armour*

That would be interesting to see.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I don't think you could do it during battle. You would have to drop sheilds to beam aboard. They would probably just salvage after the battle.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Forgot about that.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

You know, as far as Voyager's ability to produce and sustain the armour goes, I had a thought. Like you all said, you can basically replicate anything into anything else. If Janeway knew that it was pretty much the last thing they'd be doing before going home, she wouldn't worry about fuel supplies.

I can see them basically emptying their deuterium tanks to replicate the armour! They wouldn't need to collect anything, and they have to have a lot of it, anyway.

Just an idea. :wink:
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I could see that as being used as a last resort. But if they knew what they were getting into they would probably stock up on everything they needed.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It depends on whether they can replicate the armour from anything, or whether they need the exact compound/alloy/whatever it's made of. Everything we've seen of replicators implies that they require a stock of the right material, rather than being able to transmute elements (latinum) is precsious, and therefore probably unreplicateable, as are elements of Romulan blood).
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What I ment was that they could take anything from inside the ship and turn it into the shape of armor on the ship but have the same propeties it had before hand. You dematerialize a cow inside the ship a chunk of your armor is going to be made of mince. It is a last resort but would still help.

MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Teaos wrote:What I ment was that they could take anything from inside the ship and turn it into the shape of armor on the ship but have the same propeties it had before hand. You dematerialize a cow inside the ship a chunk of your armor is going to be made of mince. It is a last resort but would still help.

Except Harry Kim would be devestated at the loss of his love-partner.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Pi3Orionis
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Pi3Orionis »

Oh, LOL! Armor made of hamburger. ;)

One thing to consider, too, is that the armor isn't just the armor. I'm wondering if it isn't a sort of armor/shield hybrid -- that is, a shield so dense that it traps metal atoms between it's layers. Better still, it might be a material that's so tightly compressed (and perhaps therefore so thin and light relative to the mass of the ship) to be akin to neutronium (when I say "neutronium," I mean the theoretical substance you'd get where matter is so dense you cease to have atomic nuclei and instead have a "sea" of neutrons) Or it could be a material that conducts gravitic energy so well (I've always pictured the shields to be in part an application of artificial gravity) that it's a sort of synergy between armor and shield.

The other option I remember dwelling on years ago but forgot until recently, was that the armor was holographic in nature. We've seen the holodecks do a fairly incredible level of simulation when it comes to matter. Maybe the armor is made of some "virtual" matter that is reactive to weapons fire and adapts its structure accordingly. That way, it's not so much that the armor is very dense or incredibly strong, but rather that it's incredibly fast at adapting to incoming fire and turns itself into the most resistant configuration possible against a given attack within a fraction of a second of the weapon impact.
McCoy: Where are we going?
Kirk: Where they went.
McCoy: Suppose they went nowhere?!
Kirk: Well, then this is your big chance to get away from it all.
~ Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
(Best... movie... ever)