I had no idea...

In the real world
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

How is that pure sport? A pure version of "first one to the finish line wins" DOES exist - it's called "running."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

PS - Kendall? American-style, lagered bottom-brewed beers are NO different than Canadian ones. Just the fact that American beers are far more numerous means that there will be far worse ones than domestic Canadian ones, as well as far better. But if you don't like American-STYLE lagers, than nothing domestic to Canada will help you either.
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Actually I never really took to NASCAR. Too long and too "clean".

I actually prefir races and things at the local level. The races are shorter and there is generally a lot more action as they're driving car frames they don't care all that much about.

And then there are demolition derbies. Now that's a good time.

While we're busting on sports I like playing soccar but I can't stand it on TV for two reasons.

1. We have instant replay, the refs don't, and since one goal often decides a game and since an offsides play or a penalty kick often provides that goal it is annoying common to have a game go the wrong way and everybody knows it.

2. Drop 'n flop. Since penalty kicks are huge if a player loses the ball or is even under too much pressure in the penalty kick zone they'll drop to the ground and flop around like they just got their shin kicked in half.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:PS - Kendall? American-style, lagered bottom-brewed beers are NO different than Canadian ones. Just the fact that American beers are far more numerous means that there will be far worse ones than domestic Canadian ones, as well as far better. But if you don't like American-STYLE lagers, than nothing domestic to Canada will help you either.
I never claimed Canadian beers were better, you assumed I did. When I drank beer, I drank Heineken, Grolsch or Stella Artois.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:How is that pure sport? A pure version of "first one to the finish line wins" DOES exist - it's called "running."
It's called racing. It more pure then any other sport. They're all clutered up with instant replays, bad calls by the refs, and steroids. Auto Racing is hard to cheat at, and not get caught. Drivers don't have to improve their bodies so no problem there. Cars are inspected after the race where they'll find any cheating, since it's hard to illigally modify a car without making it noticable to an inspection. 99% of all calls are made with computer percision systems. And they do have instant replay like us.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, but the cars do all the work. And it really doesn't matter how pure it is - it's just plain boring.

Kendall - I'm sorry I made an incorrect assumption. But if I may suggest: if you like pilsners, try the original - it's a Czech beer called Pilsner Urquell, and it's phenomenal.

And I have to say, the weisbier I make in the garage stands right up next to anything.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, but the cars do all the work. And it really doesn't matter how pure it is - it's just plain boring.

Kendall - I'm sorry I made an incorrect assumption. But if I may suggest: if you like pilsners, try the original - it's a Czech beer called Pilsner Urquell, and it's phenomenal.

And I have to say, the weisbier I make in the garage stands right up next to anything.
Not a problem. I would try the Czech beer but I no longer drink, so I'll take your word for it.

I have often heard that home brew beer and wine is very good, though I never tried it. Lack of room and all that.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

In Formula 1 Grande Prix, the emergence of Lewis Hamilton last year revitalized the sport. After a few races, I ate the cheap jokes I cracked when it was announced a black kid barely out of his teens had been signed by McClaren. After a few more races I actually started watching again after a break of twenty years or so. Things like overtaking and drama had returned.
As to beer, I find the Czech pilsner is quite drinkable, but I personally am not a fan of lager style beers. I like traditional British "real ales" thought I wish I could think of a different way of saying it, as most Real Ale Drinkers are twenty years older than me, and read the Daily Mail down the golf club.....
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, but the cars do all the work. And it really doesn't matter how pure it is - it's just plain boring.
Have you ever watched a race? The drivers have to drive stripped down cars at 180+ MPH trying to avoid impact, not crash, gain position. Who do you draft and when? What adjustments do you need to make. Do you risk a green flag pit stop or try to hold out for a yellow and hope you don't run out of fuel? How many tires will you take, 2, 4, or none? How much time can you risk spending in the pit?

Does a car figure all that out? Does it change it's own tires? Does it need a driver? No. You need a driver, a pit crew, and a spotter to help you.

And even if you make the best possible decisions getting caught up in a crash could still end your day pretty quickly. Just last Sunday, Jeff Gordon was doing pretty good, with a chance at the checkered flag, but got knocked out, his car losing control and plowing into a wall, spinning around and sending debris across the track resulting in a red flag with only 4 laps to go. And he's one of the best drivers in NASCAR. Now if that kind of action doesn't get your blood pumping then you might want to check the obituaries because chances are you're in it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The only time I've ever found NASCAR exciting is when I watch the crashes on Sports disasters. Aside from that, it's just watching cars going round in a circle.
Then again, I find virtualy all sports boring. I suggest we bring back the gladiatorial games. That's about as exciting as sports can get.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:The only time I've ever found NASCAR exciting is when I watch the crashes on Sports disasters. Aside from that, it's just watching cars going round in a circle.
Then again, I find virtualy all sports boring. I suggest we bring back the gladiatorial games. That's about as exciting as sports can get.
I just can't stand the fans. Even my cousins in Canukistan who watch it are fat rednecks (yes I realise that doesn't apply to every fan). Their almost as bad as the bloody hockey fans.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Anybody ever watch MXC?

It's sort of like American Gladiators without the Gladiators, the sanity, the safety, or knowing what the people are actually saying.

They should take it pro.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Have you ever watched a race? The drivers have to drive stripped down cars at 180+ MPH trying to avoid impact, not crash, gain position. Who do you draft and when? What adjustments do you need to make. Do you risk a green flag pit stop or try to hold out for a yellow and hope you don't run out of fuel? How many tires will you take, 2, 4, or none? How much time can you risk spending in the pit?

Does a car figure all that out? Does it change it's own tires? Does it need a driver? No. You need a driver, a pit crew, and a spotter to help you.

And even if you make the best possible decisions getting caught up in a crash could still end your day pretty quickly. Just last Sunday, Jeff Gordon was doing pretty good, with a chance at the checkered flag, but got knocked out, his car losing control and plowing into a wall, spinning around and sending debris across the track resulting in a red flag with only 4 laps to go. And he's one of the best drivers in NASCAR. Now if that kind of action doesn't get your blood pumping then you might want to check the obituaries because chances are you're in it.
Yep, I've watched it plenty. My old boss was a HUGE Indy fan; my brothers-in-law are in turn Gordon, Dale Sr., and Casey Kahne fans. Martin Truex was born and grew up not far from where I live. Still boring.

Sunnyside - I am absolutely MAD for MXC.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Anybody ever watch MXC?
Dunno what MXC is, but the Japanese have the best gameshows ever. I've seen a few, and they're all completely off the wall. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Off the wall? There's someone hanging onto a giant swinging mushroom! I'd say borderline rubber-room, myself. It looks awesome.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939