What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by McAvoy »

Went to the ER recently for abdomenal pain. Extreme pain. Like our ginally thought it was a kidney stone or a hernia. It was two things, a micro tear in my colon that got infected and apparently I now have diverticulosis. Which is when the wall of your intestine bulges out and creates a pocket. It's permanent and will flare up. Which would explain some of my past sick days where I had stomach pain.

Four days in the hospital and I feel 100% better. Though now I have to look into a doctor for regular checkups now.

Insurance is fun. I could only imagine people without insurance would take this. The hospital bill was 150k and I pay about $3500 of that. Which is still high.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Glad you are improved. Bummer about the costs. Thank god you have insurance.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:27 pm Glad you are improved. Bummer about the costs. Thank god you have insurance.
Thanks. The diverticulosis is permanent and apparently runs in the family. Cousin and my Mom has it. Also Crohns and IBS. Which is why I need to be checked out.

Trying to right to see if my other insurance, the VA can absorb some of it too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:05 am Went to the ER recently for abdomenal pain. Extreme pain. Like our ginally thought it was a kidney stone or a hernia. It was two things, a micro tear in my colon that got infected and apparently I now have diverticulosis. Which is when the wall of your intestine bulges out and creates a pocket. It's permanent and will flare up. Which would explain some of my past sick days where I had stomach pain.

Four days in the hospital and I feel 100% better. Though now I have to look into a doctor for regular checkups now.

Insurance is fun. I could only imagine people without insurance would take this. The hospital bill was 150k and I pay about $3500 of that. Which is still high.
Well, that sounds fifteen kinds of horrible. :( I'm glad you feel better, but I'm sad it's chronic.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:39 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:05 am Went to the ER recently for abdomenal pain. Extreme pain. Like our ginally thought it was a kidney stone or a hernia. It was two things, a micro tear in my colon that got infected and apparently I now have diverticulosis. Which is when the wall of your intestine bulges out and creates a pocket. It's permanent and will flare up. Which would explain some of my past sick days where I had stomach pain.

Well, that sounds fifteen kinds of horrible. :( I'm glad you feel better, but I'm sad it's chronic.
Thank you.

On a side note, I may still have a kidney stone. Don't know if that is related or not or my body decided to hit me all at once with stuff right when I am about to turn 40.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Glad you're feeling better, McAvoy.
I haven't been on here in a while, but not a whole lot has been going on. Other than the fact that I'm a grandpa now. My oldest daughter gave birth to a son back in June, so he's 4 months old now. His name is Zander Dean Null, he was 6 lbs., 10 oz. at birth, and was 21 inches long. It's my sworn duty as a grandpa to spoil him rotten whenever I have the chance, then hand him back to mama!
Also, my wife and I went to her check-up with her oncologist earlier today. She's doing great, so far. The doctor said she's responding to the targeted therapy really well, and the nodules are dormant. As long as she takes the Tegrisso (that's the name of the pill she has to take) they'll continue to stay dormant for years. If they begin growing again, there are other options available. For those who don't know, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer caused by a genetic mutation marker (I forgot which marker) back in 2021. She's doing amazing, though. You'd never know she had cancer unless she told you.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Congratulations Michael, glad to hear Tammy is doing well, Karen and I are always thinking about you two.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

mwhittington wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:01 am Glad you're feeling better, McAvoy.
I haven't been on here in a while, but not a whole lot has been going on. Other than the fact that I'm a grandpa now. My oldest daughter gave birth to a son back in June, so he's 4 months old now. His name is Zander Dean Null, he was 6 lbs., 10 oz. at birth, and was 21 inches long. It's my sworn duty as a grandpa to spoil him rotten whenever I have the chance, then hand him back to mama!
Also, my wife and I went to her check-up with her oncologist earlier today. She's doing great, so far. The doctor said she's responding to the targeted therapy really well, and the nodules are dormant. As long as she takes the Tegrisso (that's the name of the pill she has to take) they'll continue to stay dormant for years. If they begin growing again, there are other options available. For those who don't know, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer caused by a genetic mutation marker (I forgot which marker) back in 2021. She's doing amazing, though. You'd never know she had cancer unless she told you.
Congrats on all accounts. Now spoil that kid rotten. :D
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

mwhittington wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:01 am Glad you're feeling better, McAvoy.
Congratulations on all fronts!
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Congratulations on both fronts.
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Well, it has been a decades-long battle to get anywhere, with breakdowns, meltdowns, and god knows what else. But, a few years ago I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, and then two years ago with Autism. Today, I have been referred for formal assessments for ADHD and Learning Disabilities, after numerous suggestions of both (the LD I was not aware of, but does answer a lot of things).

Can still be a year of so for the assessment, the Autism assessment took five years from referral, these should not be as long, but in any case any answer is better than no answer, so I am happy to be making progress towards a better understanding of why I am the way that I am.
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It sounds like a long and difficult road but at least an end is in sight. Hopefully you will get the help you deserve.
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thank you. It is somewhat of a relief to see things getting closer.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

One step at a time, Tindarin. Looks like you're getting there. :)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Cheers! Yep, I have made noticeable progress in the last year or so, its a marathon not a sprint (I think is the saying). :)