Ship of the week: Nova

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Poker ain't a sport, it's a game. Yes, it's nowhere near as difficult as chess, but can be played with a group, so lends itself to more male bonding, drinking, etc.

I personally know a number of former professional, NFL American football players, and don't ever say that it's for "wimps" (I defer to Blackstar's request, rather than using a direct quote) until you know what you're talking about. Jack Youngblood - played for three quarters - that's 45 minutes - on a broken leg. Not a fracture, or a hairline, a real broken tibia. Chuck Bednarik - tore his lower biceps tendon during a game so that the muscle rolled up inside his arm like a windowshade. He smoothed it back down, wrapped it at the lower end with some medical tape, and finished the game. The list could continue. I know American football players who have faked even knowing what city they were in (by looking at advertisements, scoreboards, etc.) after concussions in order to continue playing. I'm not saying that rugby isn't rough; I'm just saying that until you know what you're talking about, don't make a spurious comment.

And from the brief description provided, hurling seems more like lacrosse than anything else common in the States - which I don't personally enjoy, but can be extraordinarily violent.

I won't really comment on cricket, because when I have tried to watch a game (match?) I couldn't watch for more than a couple of minutes. Almost as painful to watch as golf on TV.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Ah, Lacrosse - my people's contribution to the sporting world. Another game that originally lasted for days, and occasionally used an enemy's head for a ball. The original fields varied in length between 500 yards to miles long. Sounds pretty tough.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Ah, Lacrosse - my people's contribution to the sporting world. Another game that originally lasted for days, and occasionally used an enemy's head for a ball. The original fields varied in length between 500 yards to miles long. Sounds pretty tough.
Your people? Lacrosse sounds french. Are you french? Or did you just play with french heads?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No, lacrosse is a French name for a native American game. It was played by various "Plains Indians," and named by French fur trappers for the vaguely cruciform stick used.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Really? What tribes?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, you wouldn't know from the pics I posted, but I'm half Native American, specifically Cherokee and Commanche.

French missionaries and traders saw Natives playing it, some traders joined in, and the French codified the game in the 1800's. Originally, people would regularly be injured, and sometimes killed. I suppose that's inevitable when you have up to 1,000 players on the field...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Really? What tribes?
Cherokee, Mohawk, several others.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Actually, the injuries - if not the killings - still occur pretty regularly in NCAA lax.

Blackstar - I believe it was played originally by some of the Northern Plains tribes, like Ojibwa, Blackfoot, etc.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:Blackstar - I believe it was played originally by some of the Northern Plains tribes, like Ojibwa, Blackfoot, etc.
Ah, those were the 'others' I was trying to remember.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukyumi - do have your BIA number and everything? I ask because my wife is 1/8 Leni Lenape, but doesn't have any surviving family on that side to point her in the right direction.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Nah, unfortunately, my family was hiding (thus my uber-generic last name), so birth-records are non-existent. I'd need a DNA test to prove it. I'm saving up for one.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The only time the actual identification ever came up for us was when she checked "Native American" on a law school application, and they wrote her back asking for her BIA number.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm not even clear on how to get a BIA number; the Bureau's website isn't terribly helpful on the subject. My dad didn't have one, and neither did any of the rest of his family so far as I know. To get tribal recognition, you need proof, and since I can't really trace my geneology back past my great-great grandfather who served with the Texas Rangers at the turn of the century, a DNA test seems my most likely option.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I got friends in the local Oneida tribe. In fact I actually go to school with one. He might know some of that stuff. I could probably get you the information by the end of the week, if he knows it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

If he has any clue how to get registered, or get recognition, I would really appreciate it, Blackstar. I wonder if there's a payment plan for DNA tests... Damn things run around $1,300 last time I checked.