Graham's Frankestien Fleet

Deep Space Nine
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Graham's Frankestien Fleet

Post by KuvahMagh »

Why remaster TNG and DS9, they are only a few years old? Sure the bad kitbashes from DS9 in particular suck but honestly, we see them in distant background shots, they are pretty much negligible. Remastering 14 years of work just to get rid of a few ugly or ridiculous designs doesn't make much sense, especially since they only appear in a handful of obscure shots.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Enkidu wrote:What are people's opinions on a hypothetical TNG and DS9 remastered, such has been done (unseen by me) with TOS, with new FX shots where some of the kitbashed designs could be replaced by other ships, both ones from present canon and new, better designed vessels?
I've grown hostile to these kind of projects, largely thanks to a certain Mr G Lucas of Marin County, CA, USA, but some of the "Frankenstein ships" I would be glad to see the back of - the Curry Class in particular I can't bear to look at.
So do we accept these ships as inviolably canon, like it or not, or are people open to a little rewriting of ST history?

Personally, I'd be very cautiously in favour of changes, as long as the originals where not airbrushed from existence, as I feel it's important to be able to see things as they where first shown. It could also deal with some of the registry number and other inconsistencies.
I thought the curry was one of the more bearable examples.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Reliant121 wrote:I thought the curry was one of the more bearable examples.
Agreed. At least all the bits were from the same ship - in a way it could be seen as having the same relationship to the Excelsior as the Neb had to the Galaxy.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I hate the Curry with a true passion.
What I'm trying to say is should we accept what ships have gone on screen as absolutely set in stone, or is there the potential to alter ropey FX that where put in place due to cost, limitations of the FX technology at the time, or out and out mistakes? - An example been the K'tinga in Enterprise, which was supposed to have been a new effect model according to some sources, but the animators made an error.
Leaving aside the thorny questions of general 'Trek canonicity and continuity, is once a ship has appeared on screen, is it's position in canon permanent forever?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Personally i think it should be. I mean, it shows that Starfleet can make absolute TOTAL fuck ups compared to minor fuck ups that they usually make. And If i were desperate in war situations, i'd throw everything i had, even if i just bolted a gun to a fishing boat.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Enkidu wrote:I hate the Curry with a true passion.
What I'm trying to say is should we accept what ships have gone on screen as absolutely set in stone, or is there the potential to alter ropey FX that where put in place due to cost, limitations of the FX technology at the time, or out and out mistakes? - An example been the K'tinga in Enterprise, which was supposed to have been a new effect model according to some sources, but the animators made an error.
Leaving aside the thorny questions of general 'Trek canonicity and continuity, is once a ship has appeared on screen, is it's position in canon permanent forever?
Ask again in 25 years... If they start redoing everything because of people complaints about FX, mistakes and appearance where will it stop. They will be flooded by fanbois who have the perfect ship design for what the E-D should have looked like (which of course would include 20 Nacelles, 5 Phaser Cannons, a big ass sail hanging off the ass of the ship and Classed as the Uber-Cruiser)

Like I said, so many of these types of things, like the kitbashes, are seen in far off distant shots. Keep in mind that Kitbashing has given us many nice ships such as the Miranda and Nebula. In fact there are only a few ships which are "original" E-Nil, Excelsior, Galaxy, Sovereign, pretty much every other ship built for the Feds has been kitbashed in some way, mostly small and unnoticeable but in the real world thats how its done and most of the time it makes sense since it shows commonality and design progression.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I can't imagine that they will remaster TNG just to show a few different ship designs in tiny little background shots. There are a few things they could fix in terms of FX mistakes - most notably the phaser beams coming from the Captain's Yacht in Encounter at Farpoint and the torpedo launcher in Darmok. But for the most part TNG effects are pretty good, any improvement you could make to them would be pretty minor stuff.

And that goes more so for DS9, and more so again for Voyager. And when it comes to Ent, I don't see how they could reasonably improve them at all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

They could not release the whole series, except maybe the last 2 seasons.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

In terms of FX though Ent was pretty good.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

In that case, it was great otherwise, it was horrible.
The world ended

KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Nickswitz wrote:In that case, it was great otherwise, it was horrible.
When the question is about remastering a series because of FX mistakes and appearance that is what matters...
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Very true. So to be truthful, they shouldn't release it for other reasons, like it's horrifically low ratings and all. And it should be the first series remastered for reasons other than fx :D
The world ended

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The first two or three seasons of TNG have pretty poor SFX by todays standards. That episode where they fought the drones that got better everytime had some shocking sets and graphics.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As a whole, however, I don't think that we're at the point yet where remastering TNG would create enough of a difference to make it worthwhile.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Agreed, there's not enough justification. Fixing up one or two episodes isn't worth the cost and effort.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"