Thank God it ended when it did...

Enterprise
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:Uh, Dusk, that's pretty much what I was saying. You can't go back and change stuff that way, full stop. However, the universe isn't going to change its own rules to stop you creating a paradox if it were possible.
Now you're making no sense whatsoever. If a paradox were possible it wouldn't be a paradox
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A paradox is merely a contradiction.
The act of going back in time in your own universe is, as far as I'm concerned, impossible. Thus the paradox will never come about.
However, even if it were possible to go back in time in your own universe, reality isn't going to start doing backflips just because you murdered your own father, or whatever.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The mear act of you taking a step in the past changes everything. Chaos theory is that everything is involved.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote: The act of going back in time in your own universe is, as far as I'm concerned, impossible. Thus the paradox will never come about.
You're only saying that because it hasn't been done before. Besides, a time machine, in theory, can only go back in time to the point where it was built.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Rochey wrote: The act of going back in time in your own universe is, as far as I'm concerned, impossible. Thus the paradox will never come about.
You're only saying that because it hasn't been done before. Besides, a time machine, in theory, can only go back in time to the point where it was built.
What prompts you to say that?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is real science behind that. It has to do with quantum physics I think.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm not disputing that there is real science behind it, and I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I meant it literally - I'd be interested to see the source for that.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I saw it on wikipedia in high school when I was reading and um... borrowing stuff from the talk page for a paper on Time. It was a surprisingly good paper. I also learned that if you travel back in time you would take the apperance and life of the form you had at the time. So if you travel back to when you were six, you'll look like a six year old to everyone in that time period. So if that theory held true then you'd only be able to travel back in time in your own life. Kind of like that movie, Butterfly Effect I think it was. I doubt time travel could work like that but you get the idea.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm. I'll have to see if I can find that. What principle caused the limiting effect?
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:Hmmm. I'll have to see if I can find that. What principle caused the limiting effect?
C'mon, man. They covered all this on Quantum Leap. Its called the "Bakula Effect". :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I remember reading somewhere that time machine could be created using whormholes. Attatch one end of the wormhole to a point on Earth, and the other end to a ship, then send the ship away at relatavistic speed. When it eventually returns, less time will have passed on the ship than on Earth, so you'll be able to step into the ship end of the wormhole and out the other end several years in the past (although years after the experiment was started).

Or something like that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Just gotta find a wormhole...

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Just gotta find a wormhole...
Where's Bajor again?

*Striker sighs as everyone points in different directions* Never mind... :wink: