ST:XI Spoiler Thread (READ AT OWN RISK)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: ST:XI Spoiler Thread (READ AT OWN RISK)

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm sure tech books will appear soon enough.

Personaly, I don't mind it being 900 metres long. If anything, it makes more sense to be that large. Any nation spanning hundreds, if not thousands, of planets with FTL travel and M/AM power sources, composed of numerous races that have been in space for centuries should be easily capable of building kilometre long ships. Old Trek was, as Kendall pointed out, very minimalistic in stuff like that. I don't mind nTrek deciding "fuck it" and building a big kick-ass ship, particularly since it's a completely alternate timeline.

Oh, and on another note I now have canon proof that my theory that time travel in Trek merely sends you to an alternate but similar reality is correct. So take that, naysayers! :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I think he's saying that, like me, he doesn't mind if they change the size.
Exactly. Who really cares how big it is?
Cpl Kendall wrote: Indeed, it only matters to canon whores and nitpickers. ST has needed a fresh start for a long time and if one of the things they do is ditch the ridiculous minimalism that was in the series, so much the better.
And I agree. I always felt the ships should be bigger than their stated sizes. The E-Refit, for example, defintely seems longer than 200/300-odd meters and the Excelsiors as well always seemed more than 400m
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The only problem is that one of his numbers must be wrong. Unless 1 mile = 6-9 kms.
If the E was 1 km (approx) and Neros ship was three miles (approx) then there is a problem because Neros ship is around 8 times the length of the E (est from the movie).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:The only problem is that one of his numbers must be wrong. Unless 1 mile = 6-9 kms.
If the E was 1 km (approx) and Neros ship was three miles (approx) then there is a problem because Neros ship is around 8 times the length of the E (est from the movie).
In the article, they said the Narada was supposed to be more than five miles long.

3,000 feet = 914 meters.

5 miles = 8047 meters.

See? :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It said five? woops.
I read three. :oops:
Never mind.

Though it would still have a problem with w few shots but we'll have to wait for the DVD to make the best scaling.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Can't wait for Graham to update the Constitution Page on the main website.
We wont be doing so. We will however put a new ship on as a temporal entry. We're still thinking about moving the temporal ships out from the temporal menu perhaps to a new top level button.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nickswitz wrote:He was probably just incorrect in his numbers.
That's my thought.
Then again, it would explain the 400 crew members on the Kelvin.
The kelvin had a crew of at least 802 people. George Kirk was captain for 12 mins and saved 800 people, including baby James Kirk. Given that the original captain died, as did George, plus we saw one crewwoman blown out into space that makes a crew of 802 people, more if you assume that more people died.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Actually 803 at least Ian, there was the captain as well, IDK why I thought 400 though.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

WIth the advent of this new film, will you guys be creating an alternate "nTrek" section of the site? After all, the current site's content of ships, events, maps and even races are going to be completely removed from the new timeline if they continue on with sequals.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Nickswitz wrote:Actually 803 at least Ian, there was the captain as well, IDK why I thought 400 though.
No 802, baby Kirk was not part of the crew.

800 saved including Kirk, means 799 crew saved. Plus 1 captain lost, 1 George Kirk lost, 1 woman blown out into space = 802 crew minimum.
email, ergo spam
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

ok, fair enough, I was thinking of kirk as part of the crew, I also think that was an estimate, not exact.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Rochey wrote:WIth the advent of this new film, will you guys be creating an alternate "nTrek" section of the site? After all, the current site's content of ships, events, maps and even races are going to be completely removed from the new timeline if they continue on with sequals.
We're going to treat it as an alternate timeline. We already have items on the Time line pages, plus we have an existing alternate timeline ships list (look at the bottom of the temporal menu). What we're looking at it making that ship list more obvious.
email, ergo spam
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Alright. Cool.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I believe we also saw a few people blown up and/or crushed by debris.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

stitch626 wrote:I believe we also saw a few people blown up and/or crushed by debris.
Two at least, from what I recall.