What have ships done without warp cores?

Voyager
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

The nerve. We were talking about ways to foolproof defend the Federation against the Borg!
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

We do tend to stray here, but that was really out of left field. Almost a non sequitur really.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Partially my fault. You can always expect my threadjacks to be from left field, or perhaps... from no field at all...

:wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

TR-116 sydrome at work.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I think, in short, that in every regard besides travel you can have a basically fully functional starship without a warp engine. I just think that proportionately more of its internal volume will be fusion generators/impulse engines than what we see. The problem with Federation starships is that they are designed from scratch with the dual power generation model in mind, so they are never "optimized" to work off just what their impulse fusion reactors provide. If they were, they'd have a lot less weaponry and weaker shields probably, whatever could be comfortably sustained by just the impulse reactors.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Duskofdead wrote:I think, in short, that in every regard besides travel you can have a basically fully functional starship without a warp engine. I just think that proportionately more of its internal volume will be fusion generators/impulse engines than what we see. The problem with Federation starships is that they are designed from scratch with the dual power generation model in mind, so they are never "optimized" to work off just what their impulse fusion reactors provide. If they were, they'd have a lot less weaponry and weaker shields probably, whatever could be comfortably sustained by just the impulse reactors.
I think we agree on that. Especially due to DS9 just having fusion reactors. You just don't get the high warp speeds, and you'd be a "fat" ship as you'd have to give over more space to fusion reactors and fuel.

So yeah if they really wanted to would think the Feds could design their ships to have the warp core for speed, but have enough fusion reactors they wouldn't have to use it in combat.

Of course then you have a much fatter ship, probably slower as a result, and most of the time you don't want to eject your warp core anyway.

Actually come to think of it in battle you're kinda stuck with the thing. I mean you can't eject it with your shields up, and the numerous disasters with the things indicate you can't just cut off the antimatter flow to turn them off. Presumably there is just a lot of antimatter already inside the thing so it takes too long to use it all up.

So maybe they figure why not just stick with relying on the core?
Last edited by sunnyside on Sat May 17, 2008 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

As with a lot of designs the pros out weigh the cons.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

sunnyside wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:I think, in short, that in every regard besides travel you can have a basically fully functional starship without a warp engine. I just think that proportionately more of its internal volume will be fusion generators/impulse engines than what we see. The problem with Federation starships is that they are designed from scratch with the dual power generation model in mind, so they are never "optimized" to work off just what their impulse fusion reactors provide. If they were, they'd have a lot less weaponry and weaker shields probably, whatever could be comfortably sustained by just the impulse reactors.
I think we agree on that. Especially due to DS9 just having fusion reactors. You just don't get the high warp speeds, and you'd be a "fat" ship as you'd have to give over more space to fusion reactors and fuel.

So yeah if they really wanted to would think the Feds could design their ships to have the warp core for speed, but have enough fusion reactors they wouldn't have to use it in combat.

Of course then you have a much fatter ship, probably slower as a result, and most of the time you don't want to eject your warp core anyway.

Actually come to think of it in battle you're kinda stuck with the thing. I mean you can't eject it with your shields up, and the numerous disasters with the things indicate you can't just cut of the antimatter flow to turn them off. Presumably there is just a lot of antimatter already inside the thing so it takes too long to use it all up.

So maybe they figure why not just stick with relying on the core?
Per "Image in the Sand" in DS9, the Bajorans still pretty much use impulse ships, which are still armed and shielded etc. But they are considered "antiquated" and no match for dual powered ships fielded by the major powers. It would make sense that there are probably a lot of ship designs for in-system use (cargo, ferrying, transports etc.) which do not have warp engines.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duskofdead wrote:I think, in short, that in every regard besides travel you can have a basically fully functional starship without a warp engine.
You could still have warp capability, even without a M/AM reactor, like the BoP in "Balance of Terror". The ship would simply be a lot slower (say Wf 5-6).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Freighters, colony ships, science ships don't need to go fast warp 9.999999, the stadndart cruse speed of w6 is more than enough. For in system travel you don't need a warp drive. On impulse you can get anywhere in a system in matter of houres.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You'd think that you'd need a power converter if you swithed from M/AM to something else.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That would depend on where the warp plasma comes from. It certainly isn't the reaction itself, since M/AM reactions relase energy in the form of gamma radiation (and various other stuff - but they rapidly decay to neutrinos), so there must be some kind of converter in place to generate the plasma. Fusion reactions, although IIRC they emit thermal rather than gamma radiation, could use a similar conversion mechanism.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

QED. Good job, everyone! Take 5.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:QED. Good job, everyone! Take 5.
Yeah... are we all agreeing here, for the most part? Has this ever happened before?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

*Points at the rip forming in space time*

Yeah I think we did all agree once. In the thread about suitable responce to being attacked. It was odd...