Picard's Worst Decision

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And, the Maquis were OUTSIDE Fed borders. That's why they became the Maquis.

And Men in Tights was good, but nothing compared to the ones I mentioned, or the original (1967) The Producers, with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It worked for me. Honestly it did. While the moron was standing there going, "Wait, what?" and trying to figure out what was going on, I punched him in the nose, and while he was dazed, knocked his knife away and kicked him in the nuts.
False analogy. The Fed ship that finds the SpAmish transport isn't going to be stunned into inaction by their opponanet's stupidity, they'll be too busy laughing and shooting holes in the ship. Making one person, face to face, go "WTF?" long enough for you to kick him in the balls is one thing, but there's no equivelant tactic for the SpAmish.
Shouldn't they set it up ahead of time? I would think that's a point you'd make. Usually you're on top of conventional tactics and tactical errors. If this thing is going to be such a big deal they should set up defences before anyone else can find out what's going on and sends a fleet to take it.
Given that the Ba'ku wouldn't let them start militarising the planet until they were booted off, there'd be no way to set up these bases before hand. They'd have to wait till the Ba'ku were sent on their way, and then build up the defences and move a fleet in to defend it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

BTW, I already pointed out a number of situations in which the Ba'ku could have nearly destroyed themselves without it being a wartime situation.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Ba'ku equivalent of Kim Jong Il could have started a nuclear war quite easily, leading to mass destruction of their civilisation, but not an actual war.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
Shouldn't they set it up ahead of time? I would think that's a point you'd make. Usually you're on top of conventional tactics and tactical errors. If this thing is going to be such a big deal they should set up defences before anyone else can find out what's going on and sends a fleet to take it.
Given that the Ba'ku wouldn't let them start militarising the planet until they were booted off, there'd be no way to set up these bases before hand. They'd have to wait till the Ba'ku were sent on their way, and then build up the defences and move a fleet in to defend it.
The planet was going to be uninhabitable after the collecter was activated. Didn't you watch the movie? They could still assemble a fleet to defend it and there's nothing the Ba'ku would be able to do to stop them. It would make my ideas even more unlikely then they already are.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nobody even said that the cause of the near-destruction was even military in nature! IIRC, they just said that it was due to advanced technology. A power-generation issue, etc. (like I already pointed out) could be to blame.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The planet was going to be uninhabitable after the collecter was activated. Didn't you watch the movie? They could still assemble a fleet to defend it and there's nothing the Ba'ku would be able to do to stop them. It would make my ideas even more unlikely then they already are.
Okay, but that would just remove the need for ground bases. In space, there'd still be a heavy presence, meaning that the Ba'ku are even more screwed.

Mikey; good point. It could really have been caused by anything.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Mikey; good point. It could really have been caused by anything.
Or created anything...I just got an interesting thought. What if the Ba'ku didn't move into the patch? What if this culture destroying incident created it?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

*shrug*
It's possible, but then why did the rest of them die, if it created something that makes them immortal? And why did only these six hundred survive it?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:*shrug*
It's possible, but then why did the rest of them die, if it created something that makes them immortal? And why did only these six hundred survive it?
Well, the Son'a collector would render the planet uninhabital, so if something like the planet's rings surrounded the system or maybe something with a second sun, but it was not enough to give the whole system it's healing powers. In fact trying to modify a sun in a binary system might be perfect for this idea.

So the Ba'ku tried to use technology to amplify it's effects, but amplifies it to lethal levels(too much of a good thing can be bad) or exploding(creating the nebuleus effect) killing people as it progresses irradiating the system. The survival planet was far enough away from the destroyed sun that it survived. The survivors were a handful of people trying to get away from the lethal effects and landed on the suvival planet as a last resort.

The Ba'ku survival planet's rings may have absorbed the radiation, like a coolent system absorbs heat. The rings could slowly release the radiation at non-lethal levels.

Now does this sound plasable? It explains why the Ba'ku dislike technology, the nebulus effects of the area, and why the concentration of the miracle particles is so heavy in the rings of the survival planet and how the Son'a could aquire the technology. Did I miss anything?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Um, I haven't a clue about all that. So I'm just going to quote Professor Farnsworth, here.
Yes, yes, I see. Something that complicated could naturaly be a threat to all existance.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

:lol: Damn kids!

As far as absorbing radiation like a cooling system... well, that doesn't really happen. Cooling systems dissipate heat, not absorb it. Those would have to be some holy-crap-that's-the-most-amazing-thing-in-the-history-of-history materials in those rings to take the energy that destroyed almost all of Ba'ku civilization and transmute it into the metaphasic(?) radiation that Juan Ponce de'Leon was looking for.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Well, the idea I had is that the planet's rings absorbed the burst like a sponge, but over time the sponge is drying out by leaking the energy from the burst.

I came up with this on the fly so give me some credit.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Unless it was somehow transformed into the beneficial radiation, that would merely kill the survivors more slowly than it did the non-survivors.

"E" for effort, though! :D
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Not if the radiation causes regeneration. Too much of anything can be bad. Depending on how it works, too much could cause rapid ageing, or rapid deaging, or cause the body cells to multiply out of control.