Sequels that are better than the original movie

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Faramir's depiction is one of the biggest beefs I have with the film, but there are others too.

Rohan - they were not running away when they went to Helm's Deep. They were advancing to link up with the frontier army, and withdrew to the Deep specifically to force battle on their own terms.

Aragorn - what the hell was that nonsense en route to the Deep?

Elves - there were no elves at the Deep. There was no purpose for having elves at the Deep. The whole point of LOTR was that Middle-Earth was utterly reliant on Men for it's main defence - the elves barely had sufficient forces to defend their enclaves without sending off detachments to help Rohan.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I couldn't have said ANY of that better myself, Seafort. G-d bless you.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Serapha
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Serapha »

Yeah, a lot of the changes to the elven stuff was just gratuitous.

But call me a fangirl, I like elves, so the bits where you see more of them than you would have otherwise didn't bother me as much as they probably should have. Mmmmmmmmmmmelves.

The romantic bits with Arwen and Aragorn were... really kind of overdone though. Bleah.
"I'm sorry, Penterian Fleet Command cannot come to the comm right now, all our personnel are currently tied up..."

www.bladespark.com It's cute and fuzzy, click at your own risk.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The romantic bits were more than overdone, they were completely pointless. Arwen played a very small role in the books, and there was no need at all to have her in the films.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hey, I'm all for gratuitous overuse of Liv Tyler, but there's no need to have her actually speak.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:The romantic bits were more than overdone, they were completely pointless. Arwen played a very small role in the books, and there was no need at all to have her in the films.
Well, she probably deserved a small role, given that Aragorn's desire to reunite Arnor and Gondor was partially driven by Elrond's decree that only once that had been accomplished would he allow Arwen and Aragorn's marrage. She certainly didn't merit the role she got however, and the gibberish in RotK with her dying as Mordor's power grew detracted from the film.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but a small appearance by her, a little dialogue to establish they're in love, Elrond telling Aragorn he can get lost unless he wins the war, and you've acomplished that problem and moved on with the plot.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Exactly. Which reminds me of another small niggle I have with Jackson's trilogy - the fact that Aragorn took a lot of pursuading to accept his destiny as King.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Here's another example of the lack of depth of the films. In the books, Aragorn's destiny - and his acceptance of it - was laid out well before the action of the novels themselves, at the time that he first met Arwen. Now without that depth, the movie has to affect a reason for Aragorn to fulfill his appointed role, and thus ends up drawing out this ridiculous role for Arwen.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

The sequals to Back to the Future were pretty good. Unless you consider the whole thing one long movie because of the part II, part III stuff in their names.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm with Kostmayer on Godfather Part II, as it is the one of the closest things to cinematic perfection that has ever been made.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I'm surprised no one said Terminator II, yet! Easily surpassed the original. Also, yes, definitely Aliens, the soundtrack by John Williams was amazing, but he actually hated it with a passion. Oh, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time. :lol:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Chronicles of Riddick. Pitch Black was a cool film but CoR was so over the top it was fantastic.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Yeah, I like Vin Diesel as an action star. CoR was really good, too. My best friend hates him, though. So much so that every time he watches Saving Private Ryan, he'll rewind and replay the scene where Vinni-boy gets shot by a German sniper. What I find interesting, though, is that my friend is big into lifting weights, so he's pretty buff, and he has gone bald, like Patrick Stewart, at only 25 years old, so he's shaved his head. Do you see where I'm going with this?
Oh, and Revenge of the Sith. It was way better than the first 2 prequels, IMO.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

mwhittington wrote:Oh, and Revenge of the Sith. It was way better than the first 2 prequels, IMO.
You can put Attack of the Clones into the better prequel category as well. Not that it needed to do much to get there.