Discovery
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rumours, news and general speculation

Post by Graham Kennedy »

First teaser trailer :

Note the plurals. Very interesting!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Indeed. Do I interpret correctly from the "and" in the closing that it will appear both on broadcast and subscription service?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

From what I hear, the pilot episode will appear on CBS, and then the series proper will be on a streaming subscription service.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

The notion of new ships, crews, and time periods each season could be a good idea. It could really enrich the Trek universe. The problem that I see with it is that the concept is a danger to making it a show for fans and it could be tough for new viewers to break in to it. It may not be very accessible.

"Enterprise" was beginning, in a way, to become a show a for fans in its fourth season with the long arcs filling in Trek history. Which was fun, but I can see how it would be unappealing to some. Though it's better than the "Voyager" theme of ship-in-danger-again-will-they-survive-of-course-they-will.

But with as fractured as media has become it may no longer be necessary to appeal to as wide an audience as one possibly can because attention is so divided and fought after. When TNG was on the air media was still the same old game, by and large, that it had been. TNG had wide appeal. Now, the are countless platforms so a more niche Trek may work just fine.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

CBS’ New STAR TREK Series Adds Three Writers, Including A STAR TREK Novelist & A TNG/DS9 Vet!!

Source
The three newcomers to the CBS All Access streaming Star Trek writers room are:

1) Joe Menosky, who wrote or co-wrote 56 hours of “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek: Voyager,” including “Time’s Arrow” and “Year of Hell.”

2) Kirsten Beyer, who in 2009 (the year of the first J.J. Abrams “Star Trek” movie) launched a new series of Star Trek novels depicting the adventures of Starfleet admiral Kathryn Janeway, Voyager captain Chakotay, Voyager first officer Tom Paris, Voyager security officer Harry Kim, U.S.S. Galen chief medical officer The Doctor, fleet chief engineer B’Elanna Torres and Starfleet Academy professor Seven of Nine following their returns to the Alpha Quadrant.

3) Aron Eli Coleite, the “Crossing Jordan” vet who worked alongside Byran Fuller as a writer on NBC’s “Heroes.”
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/ ... 9322273792

So it's called Star Trek: Discovery, is using the frankly hideous Star Destroyer Enterprise, and the teaser has CGI worse than any fan film in the last 5 years.
Last edited by Griffin on Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ladies and germs, I give you...

the USS Discovery.

*EDIT* Can you believe I was typing that just as Griffin was submitting his post?

*FURTHER EDIT* And yes, it is the proposed hero ship (the USS Gage, IIRC) from the never-made late 70's Star Trek: Phase II series.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

God that is fugly. The nacelles I like though.

I hope they improve the CGI on it. I saw it on Facebook and it will described as a test flight.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That is one hideously ugly ship. A triangle? WTF?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Star Trek Discovery? The new show is going to be STD?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:Star Trek Discovery? The new show is going to be STD?
:laughroll:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:That is one hideously ugly ship. A triangle? WTF?
You've had it on your own site since the get-go, my friend:
http://www.ditl.org/ship-page.php?Class ... Option=fed
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Griffin wrote:https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/ ... 9322273792

So it's called Star Trek: Discovery, is using the frankly hideous Star Destroyer Enterprise, and the teaser has CGI worse than any fan film in the last 5 years.
Ugh. It looks like the illegitimate love child of a federation starship and a Klingon battlecruiser. Perhaps a naughty Vor'Cha.

Actually that might be the one angle under which I'd like the design, it representing some post Dominion war collaboration between the Federation and the Klingons.

Otherwise I'm hoping that just and initial effort and not the final level of design and detail of the ship.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It's actually an accretion of a TOS Starfleet ship and an Imperial Star Destroyer. Supposedly the main designer who was brought on to help with the "Star Trek: Phase II" project, back when it seemed that it would be more likely to happen than a Star Trek movie, was the principle voice in designing the ISD's from the hit movie from a year prior.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

She's fugly on every possible level. That design should have been left as a footnote in history and nothing more. Plus the CGI is terrible.