The Doctor's mobile emitter

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nah, that's just writers being unable to keep their oen stories straight.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, there is that, too. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Actually, Rochey makes a good point, one that's supported by most of the time-travel episodes we see. Take Sela for example - since the E-C's actions at Narandra III prevented the Fed-Klingon War, Tasha was killed by Arus, and so couldn't have gone back in time. Taking the universe-hopping model you get the simple solution that she was a visitor from another universe.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The reason there will never be holo soilders is that starfleet doesnt let its ships and equipment be run by AI when it can be avoided.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but the ships aren't being run by them. They're just being protected by what is in effect a mostly invincible group of soldiers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I can understand why the Klingons, Dominion, and Borg wouldn't use them but you'd think the Romulan's would love them.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, only the Federation has the mobile emmiter technology (and even then they were never able to reproduce it), so the other races don't really have a choice.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Not nessesarly.
You only would have to put holographic technology throughout the ship. We know the Romulans were experimenting with holographic technology as early as 2154 or so. They were also playing with automated ships that early.

Why don't they just make automated ships with holographic soldiers on board. They could have a real command staff if they wanted and real Remens since they aren't worth much and you could use them for ground assaults.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You only would have to put holographic technology throughout the ship.
True, but that would take up a fair amount of space, and it can't be cheap.
Why don't they just make automated ships with holographic soldiers on board.
Probably out of fear of an M-5 style incident.
They could have a real command staff if they wanted and real Remens since they aren't worth much and you could use them for ground assaults.
Perhaps they already use the Remans in such a manner, we don't really know that much about them.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The idea of time travel actually creating an alternate existence is a fairly sound one, as far as imaginary scinece goes. At least, it can fit as well with chaos theory as any other idea.
Perhaps they already use the Remans in such a manner, we don't really know that much about them.
Very true. We all know - or assume - that a good deal of the volume of a D'deridex is given over for assault troops, but we don't know what they comprise when in use. There is no reason to assume that they MUST be Romulans, specifically.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

In fact it's conceivable to use robotic/android defense forces aboard sharships; they wouldn't need to be as intelligent or as complex wrt circuitry as Data to do their job, in fact they could be controlled by a central computer. It appears that most of Data's physical body is simple work for 24th century science; the challenge being to construct his brain. Aboard sharships, where holoemitters can be installed, holograms may be cheaper, but for areas where emitters are not available like Planetary surfaces, androids may be preferable as they would not be limited by the Doctor's weakness I mentioned: that even a glancing blow to his emitter causes him to go offline.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Even Data's brain (or at least his intelligence/sapience) isn't that difficult for the Feds - look at the Doctor for example. The real advance Soong seemed to have made was miniaturisation. They may have been able to build plenty of such sapient adriods if they were willing to have them drag a few filing cabinets worth of memory round with them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In fact it's conceivable to use robotic/android defense forces aboard sharships; they wouldn't need to be as intelligent or as complex wrt circuitry as Data to do their job, in fact they could be controlled by a central computer.
All you need to defend a starship are ceiling mounted machine gun turrets, controled from somewhere deep within the ship. Given how innefective phasers seem to be against metal, they could devastate a boarding party.
Set them up outside important areas, inside important areas, and in corridors leading to and from important areas, and your ship is brilliantly defended.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

anti-personel landmines that activate when intruders are in the area would be a neat trick too.

The invaders take cover behind a corner from a huge machine gun only to see the pretty floor design of circles begin to pop out of the floor and explode shrapnel at the invaders.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Or the crew could just turn off the oxygen in that section, and turn the gravity up several hundred times (squishy).

Actualy, why the hell does no sci-fi ever do that? :?