The Final Countdown

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The Final Countdown

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

One thing, take two of the jets, set up as 'clean' a facility as you could and some of the Nimitz' technicians. Include manuals, tools-the like. Then strip them down to the nuts and bolts and begin work from there.

And now my brain malfunctions and I don't know what I'm saying here. :bangwall: :madashell:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Reverse engineering is fine, but the infrastructure still wouldn't be present to produce the necessary parts and resources - even if you figured out how they tick.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Reverse engineering is not such a simple thing in itself. The recipies for the ceramics, some of the metals, anything that uses silica would need to be figured out. Then facilities to fabricate would need to be built at worst or modified from existing facilities at best. But, given the speed that wartime projects can be cranked out, maybe not so far out.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some stuff would be a nightmare. Turbine blades for instance. You need a computer controlled milling machine with thousandth of a mm accuracy to make those things. How do you do that in an age when computers barely even exist?

No doubt they could give them a lot of advances, though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Your own Mr. Whittle had a running testbed by 1937, his was also a co-axial turbine. So by 1941 it wouldn't be that far a stretch to be producing turbine blades. It is the materials necessary to handle a modern jets working temp's that is the problem (?).
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Vic wrote:It is the materials necessary to handle a modern jets working temp's that is the problem (?).
Partially the materials partially the precision needed. An F-14 is a very different beat to a Gloster Meteor.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Certainly. Just look at the production methods needed. Just because you know that a certain part requires a certain precision and a certain tolerance, doesn't mean that you automatically know (for example) how to perform undercut powder casting.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Vic wrote:Your own Mr. Whittle had a running testbed by 1937, his was also a co-axial turbine. So by 1941 it wouldn't be that far a stretch to be producing turbine blades. It is the materials necessary to handle a modern jets working temp's that is the problem (?).
It's the accuracy of making them, though. Sure they could make blades back then, but could they do it with anything like the sort of accuracy we do? Doubtful.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I think it would be like 'In A Mirror, Darkly' where the E Nil would blow the shit out of the NX01 and then an attractive Japanese girl would take over Earth.

You know what I'm gettng at...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I know reverse-engineering would be beyond a nightmare... but might as well get a start on it, at least.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

The Japanese committed their forces to a number of engagements at the time of Pearl Harbor. After the Japanese strike force is demolished by Captain Yelland he will attempt to contact the nearest naval command and inform them of his situation and the current doings of the Japanese in as secretive a manner as possible.

Wake Island will probably still be attacked, and the Japanese Embassy will still report a declaration of war. I don't know what the military will decide to do with the futuristic assets but I feel confident to say that nuclear weapons will be deployed against Germany to bring about its capitulation. I expect jet engines and missiles will be routinely fielded by the American military in 1945. There wont be any reverse engineering but there will be plenty of step ups with the 40s engineers and the 80s mechanics.

The USN will get a huge boost to funding.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Also, you have to consider the fuel; I have no idea if a 1940's era refinery could produce high-grade jet fuel at all, let alone in large quantities.

It is possible. 1940's used AvGas which was replaced by JP-4, 5 and 8 by the 1960-70's.

Many of you probably never been on a Nimitz class carrier but pretty much the only serious thing that 1940's sailors would have an issue learning about is the reactors. Everything else isn't that hard and is merely updated versions of what they have in the 1940's. In reality, the Nimitz crew could train new crew just as easily as they would train them in school now.

Issue would be parts. Radar, the reactors, computers and the four catapults. In the case of the catapults is definitely within 1940's era technology since it was developed by the British in the early 1950's.

Immediate developments would be the catapults and an angled flight deck for carriers.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Many of you probably never been on a Nimitz class carrier but pretty much the only serious thing that 1940's sailors would have an issue learning about is the reactors. Everything else isn't that hard and is merely updated versions of what they have in the 1940's. In reality, the Nimitz crew could train new crew just as easily as they would train them in school now.

Issue would be parts. Radar, the reactors, computers and the four catapults. In the case of the catapults is definitely within 1940's era technology since it was developed by the British in the early 1950's.
I think the problem with half of that is that we're talking early forties technology, which was pretty primitive even compared to the late forties in terms of what was actually in service. I reckon the most useful thing the Nimitz could provide would be a history book - to streamline technological development by giving them a potted history of what worked (angled flight deck, steam catapult, mirror landing system, etc) and what didn't (rubber flight decks, for example).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is true. Problem also for example if a 1940's USN tries to make an exact copy of the Nimitz they will have issues because of the flgith deck is the strength deck and that is a closely guarded secret for some reason. You would have gut out the ship to figure that out.

But like I said even the introduction of a angled flight deck makes things significantly better than before.

There is also all the publications onboard a Nimitz class carrier.

As for the planes, it will be decades before they figure everything out. In fact the only plane they could even hope to come up with fast is the E-2, but the engines are still different from the piston engines of the 1940's.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:That is true. Problem also for example if a 1940's USN tries to make an exact copy of the Nimitz they will have issues because of the flgith deck is the strength deck and that is a closely guarded secret for some reason. You would have gut out the ship to figure that out.
So the Nimitz basic design is what the RN was doing in the 40s and it's meant to be a secret? :?