3%

Total votes: 34
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Shaving

Post by Mikey »

Ugh - thanks to a stout Eastern European heritage, I have a beard that - in coarseness and stubbornness - closely resembles an odd mix of boar bristles and copper wire. I cannot use an electric at all, even one of the wet/dry ones. They irritate my face and have the added value of just not doing the job. I used to use an old-style injection-blade razor, but you can't find the razors or the refills for them anymore. Most recently, I just replaced my Fusion Power with a new Fusion ProGlide (4 or 5 very narrow blades.) While the Power tended to shave slighty closer, the ProGlide gives a MUCH more comfortable shave.

For a medium, I prefer hot mug soap with a traditional boar-bristle brush. In the interests of convenience and speed, though, I often use regular old Barbasol loaded into a hot-lather machine.

*EDIT* Once every three months or so, I treat myself to a hot-towel and shave treatment at the barber; but that's for the luxury factor, as in fact a straight-razor shave doesn't shave as close as a modern premium multi-blade razor.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Multi-bladed for me. I grew a beard back in 1998, but it looked horrible and itched like a sunnuvabitch.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Damn Mikey, its like planning a war for you... :poke:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Electric razors always leave me with little red marks all over my face which itch like hell. I get a pack of disposable multi blade razors. I hate shaving, it's a pain in the ass, so I generally only do it once every few days.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:Damn Mikey, its like planning a war for you... :poke:
Unfortunately, it has to be. Use the wrong game plan, and I end up giving my wife a burn when I...

... kiss her goodbye.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Electric razors always leave me with little red marks all over my face which itch like hell. I get a pack of disposable multi blade razors. I hate shaving, it's a pain in the ass, so I generally only do it once every few days.
That's pretty much me. I shave when the Mrs. complains about my stubble. Can't use an electric, it just chews my face up.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Consider yourselves lucky. If I skip more than one day in between, I look like Lon Chaney Jr. after make-up.
as Bull offed Custer
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

I rarely, if ever, shave. It takes two weeks for me to get anything that resembles a stubble. The current amount of hair on my face is the result of 3 weeks doing nothing and I still can barely grasp the hairs.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It takes me about 3/4 days to get to stubble stage (I've just made the shift from..to use a lovely phrase my mother uses, "bumfluff", soft hair, to proper stubble). I tend to shave every 2/3 days, so I can get as much as possible. I hate having stubble face.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It takes me about 6 - 8 hours to get to noticeable stubble; and I can see it earlier than that, even if I can't feel it noticeably, because of how dark and coarse it comes in.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ah see, I'm naturally virtually silver blonde and my facial hair matches.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Between the Irish and Italian in my family, I'm a bit like Mikey.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

One can lay all ofthe evils of the world at shaving's feet IMO :P . Although when the wifey says that she would be happy with a hairless face that tends to trump all other considerations. I have allways preferred an electric except when a truly close shave is needed, so maybe a really good electric is in the offing as a bribe to shave daily. :)
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Vic wrote:One can lay all ofthe evils of the world at shaving's feet IMO :P . Although when the wifey says that she would be happy with a hairless face that tends to trump all other considerations. I have allways preferred an electric except when a truly close shave is needed, so maybe a really good electric is in the offing as a bribe to shave daily. :)
If you don't have sensitivity issues with electric shavers, then the wet/dry types offer a closer shave than the regular ones. Leaving your face wet and using a shaving cream both help set your beard up for a closer shave.
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Aaah, I've never used a wet/dry before. Regular blade razors make my neck break out despite all of the lotions, aftershaves, etc. that I've tried. My chin turns into a bloodfest thanks to a bad acne problem as a teen, electrics are the only ones that don't cause more than red skin for a few hours. I would love to be able to use a straight razor, talk about a close shave.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington