DS9 era series thought...

Deep Space Nine
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: DS9 era series thought...

Post by USSEnterprise »

Atekimogus wrote:You mean like the Enil in Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and the E-A in the movies thereafter? The type of ship doesn't really matter imho. The more I think of it, DS9 itself was the series you are proposing. Sure they had the Sisko but truly, every one of the characters was - no matter how likable - also deeply flawed and deeply human. They had no Data, no Spock, their engineer wasn't even an officer etc etc. .

To be honest, every time Star Trek tried to sold us something or someone as uberadvanced and ubergenius (like Wesley Crusher and also, to a degree the E-D) they failed miserably. DS9 did never try so hard to sell us the protagonists as the creme de la creme of humankind, that is why imho they had the best series by far.
Dax was a Trill with several lifetimes worth of memories available to her. Bashir was a genetically engendered genius. Kira was a freedom fighter with some actually fighting ability. Odo was a shape shifter. Worf had pointy things and the sole Klingon in Starfleet. O'Brien was somehow turned into a guy that could fix anything from a freaking transporter chief. Garek was a super spy. And Sisko..well he's Sisko. Added to that they get one of the most powerful ships in the quadrant.

I know as characters, they were far more human and had far more depth and in any series, but that doesn't change the fact that they seemed to be the best and brightest the fleet had to offer. They each had the own dark sides and each had their own problems. That is what made DS9 so great imo. I just thought it would be interesting to see a not so top of the long ship, full of no so top of the line starfleeters and what it must have been like to be in the dominion war.
Picard
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Picard »

I would like to see War-refit Galaxy class going throught Dominion War. It would make for diverse action... scientific-vessel-turned-battleship that kicks major ass in space and can carry entire infantry division worth of troops. It might even help to adress some things I don't like in DS9 - during entire predominantly politics- and war- oriented series, we never see fully equipped Federation ground army.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Picard wrote:It might even help to adress some things I don't like in DS9 - during entire predominantly politics- and war- oriented series, we never see fully equipped Federation ground army.
Unfortunately we did see the sort of equipment the Federation army has, in the shape of the infantry company assigned to AR-558. Lots of phaser rifles and bugger-all else.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Unfortunately we did see the sort of equipment the Federation army has, in the shape of the infantry company assigned to AR-558. Lots of phaser rifles and bugger-all else.
Trying to imagine the effects of bringing a modern army to play in Trek.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Trying to imagine the effects of bringing a modern army to play in Trek.
How are you defining "modern"? Early nineteenth century?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:How are you defining "modern"? Early nineteenth century?
More like the combined armed forces of the United States in 2010AD
Picard
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Picard »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Picard wrote:It might even help to adress some things I don't like in DS9 - during entire predominantly politics- and war- oriented series, we never see fully equipped Federation ground army.
Unfortunately we did see the sort of equipment the Federation army has, in the shape of the infantry company assigned to AR-558. Lots of phaser rifles and bugger-all else.
AR-558 garrison was hardly "fully equipped", they were short on everything, including common sense.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Picard wrote:AR-558 garrison was hardly "fully equipped", they were short on everything, including common sense.
Which is the problem since they are a front line unit defending a critical location.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Um, front line unit? What are you guys talking about? They were Starfleet Officers transported down to the planets surface, with little training in that kind of fighting. They certainly weren't MACOs or anything.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:Um, front line unit? What are you guys talking about? They were Starfleet Officers transported down to the planets surface, with little training in that kind of fighting. They certainly weren't MACOs or anything.
I never said they were elite troops, but they were deployed on the front lines right after they took the site and left there to hold it. As to their training, its pretty clear that SF doesn't use highly trained troops in any numbers worth counting.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I could be wrong here, but it struck me as not even using all security officers. That motley group struck me as just being average joe's from a ships crew, that were handed rifles, beamed down, and told to hold with position with no support.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:I could be wrong here, but it struck me as not even using all security officers. That motley group struck me as just being average joe's from a ships crew, that were handed rifles, beamed down, and told to hold with position with no support.
Since the whole security department of the Ent-D could be fit in the conference room... would it really be a shock that the UFP uses extra ship crew as their regular ground forces?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That's like taking sailors off a ship, handing them M-16s and ordering them to defend a hill.

:::sending a psychic slap to the Trek writers:::
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:That's like taking sailors off a ship, handing them M-16s and ordering them to defend a hill.

:::sending a psychic slap to the Trek writers:::
Yeah, we do that today... they're called Marines.

The difference is Marines are trained, SF persons for the most part aren't.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Lol....Marines are specially trained.

I'm talking about those guys working the flight deck, engine room, galley, and so forth. Toss in a few SPs, and you have a base defense?