Android 2.1

thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Re: Android 2.1

Post by thelordharry »

Cheers again :)

Just had an email saying that my order will not be dispatched until at least October, if that. I can cancel anytime between. That'll give me enough time to see what HTC are going to release in mid-Sept and therefore what the carriers will likely do.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Keep in mind that the newer Windows Phone 7 devices are coming out in october. Judging from previews, i might even consider swapping for one.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:Keep in mind that the newer Windows Phone 7 devices are coming out in october. Judging from previews, i might even consider swapping for one.
What's that now? I'm in the process of getting the straight poop vrom VZW on buying a WinMo smartphone, both of which I'm considering are WinMo 6.5 models. Bear in mind that my current phone is taking a shit big time. Is WinMo 7 enough of an upgrade (for a casual user) to make me want to suck it up for another month?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Microsoft has finally enabled Exchange Active sync for Windows live accounts - your contacts and calendar on your Windows Mobile (or Ipod / Android) phone will now sync with a Windows Live Account over the cloud. Add that to the fact that the latest Windows Live Mail client is actually pretty good (I use it often when I don't need the full functionality of Outlook), a Windows Mobile phone and Windows live account is a pretty useful setup.

Bit late in the day but a welcome development. I'm still considering moving to Android when my contract runs out though.
Last edited by kostmayer on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Depends on when it will be released stateside, and for Verizon, I don't know what phones they will get on Verizon, and they may not get them til the end of the year, depending on when Verizon feels like putting it on the network.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mikey wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:Keep in mind that the newer Windows Phone 7 devices are coming out in october. Judging from previews, i might even consider swapping for one.
What's that now? I'm in the process of getting the straight poop vrom VZW on buying a WinMo smartphone, both of which I'm considering are WinMo 6.5 models. Bear in mind that my current phone is taking a s**t big time. Is WinMo 7 enough of an upgrade (for a casual user) to make me want to suck it up for another month?
it depends entirely what you do. Windows 7 will be faster, smoother, easier but its primarily designed to integrate social networking. Its built around "panes". The main menu is an infinite scroll of panes (little boxes) that update with facebook, twitter, contact updates etc. There are likely to be hundreds of these things. The Windows phone 7 will also only be available on the toppest of top specification phones. I really think, if you absolutely have to go down a winmo route, its worth waiting. the only thing will be the lack of applications at first.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

I don't think even WP7 will have anywhere near the 'wow factor' and fun of Android or i-phones. Maybe great for the office and Exchange/Outlook, not so good for fun. The future of developers apps will surely be Android and i-phone with Android eventually truly catching up to rival...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thats the thing. They are opposite ends of the market. WP7 really is a more touch orientated blackberry, with great communication tools, and excellent PC sync abilities and all its email speciality. Android is an iPhone rival for its infinite customisability, social networking focus and its app store that is ever closing down on the iPhone's.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, I don't really need all the apps and I don't even need that much functionality in the way of social networking - checking in on FB via the interweb is enough for me. Instead, the tools contained in WinMo office are what I'm looking for. So, it might not be worth it for me to wait. Spending money for stuff I don't need makes buying a $300 device - philosophically, at least - in the "NAFF" category for me.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

WP7 phones should have office on them already...I'd have to check though.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:WP7 phones should have office on them already...I'd have to check though.
They'd better, because Win 6.5 phones do.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:Harry, I have a Desire!

For starters they now have Android 2.2, unless your going to vodaphone which are delaying things. This makes the software WAY faster.

battery life may concern but every android phone (and most modern smartphones) need charging once a day anyway. If i turn off wifi and mobile data I can get two days out of her.
My iPhone 4 lasts 3 days with WiFi turned on.
The on screen is every bit as sensitive as iPhone keyboards and thats a good thing. predictive is generally intelligent. The portrait qwerty is a tad small, but you can have a normal alpha-numeric keyboard should you want. It's pretty much the same as the TyTN2 just since it has a capacitive screen instead of a resistive (electro-magnetism vs. dual layer physical feedback) it's more sensitive.

Web browser is brilliant. Music and video is a pain, especially putting things in a playlist, you'll need a program like MediaMonkey. HTC are doing a sync that can sync to itunes but it will likely take a bazillion years to come out.

The only thing is, it's wise to export your outlook contacts to google. If you're gonna switch to android, having contacts on your google account makes things way more convenient. syncing with outlook DOES work but its easier going via google mail.

Thats the only thing you need. To access the market, and some internet features, you HAVE to have a googlemail account.

but I've found it every bit the contemporary of an iPhone. It's not quite as appealing but the screen makes up for it.
In what way does the screen make up for it? It's got a lower resolution then the iPhone 4, which has a spectacular screen. You need to see it to appreciate it.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

However, it is AMOLED which represents colours Better and is larger.

And I have seen them. Wasn't massively impressed. Built well but wasn't WOW like they used to be.

Ian, we're gonna go tit for tat on Android vs. iPhone for the rest of eternity. Most professional reviewers rate them as equals with some advantages, some disadvantages, so im more than content to differ in opinions.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:However, it is AMOLED which represents colours Better and is larger.
Larger = bad, I don't want to carry a brick around. The iPhone screen is large enough, especially with it's 300+ dpi resolution.
And I have seen them. Wasn't massively impressed. Built well but wasn't WOW like they used to be.
You think the old iPhone screen is better than the new one? I find that very difficultimpossible to believe.
Ian, we're gonna go tit for tat on Android vs. iPhone for the rest of eternity. Most professional reviewers rate them as equals with some advantages, some disadvantages, so im more than content to differ in opinions.
I was specifically responding to you attempting to say that android was good, given it's batter lasted so long. iPhone 4's battery wipes the floor with your figures. The issue here is the oft vaunted multitasking provided on the Android. It kills the battery, even Google's CEO says so. That is why the iPhone multitasking is so good.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I didn't mean the screen of the former iPhone. I meant the phone itself.

As to the screen size, good for you. The Desire is in physical dimensions are very similar, with the Desire being merely 5mm longer and the odd millimetre in width or depth (I read it wrong). Regardless, its personal choice. Many love the HTC HD2 which is a 4.3 inch screen.

As the majority of people charge their phone once a day regardless (as my parents did with iPhone 3GS they owned, i might add), hence the battery life while I admit readily the iPhone has an advantage, for the overwhelming majority isn't of importance.
Last edited by Reliant121 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.