Species of the week: Humans

Voyager
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Meh...personally, I've never been much of a fan of the Humans. Their makeup is absolutely atrocious (Vulcan rip-off, anyone?), and to make it worse they're included in every single series...its just stupid. Of all the species to choose to focus on, why the Trek writers would choose a species that looks almost exactly like the Romulans (their biggest enemy) and has absolutely no interesting features to their culture, is beyond me.
But I don't write 'em, after all.

I think we'd all be better off if the Humans just all died off...

:wink:
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think we'd all be better off if the Humans just all died off...
Thats one of the interesting things about space flight. I doubt you could kill and entire species off in trek. There are just to many of them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Thats one of the interesting things about space flight. I doubt you could kill and entire species off in trek. There are just to many of them.
Well, the Dominion sure gave it a good try in the DS9 finale... :D
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i always thought it funny to have humans in trek, especially as my interpretation of the assorted alien species, was that they reflected aspects of humanity, ideologically, behaviourally etc
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

From a coldly scientific point of view, without resorting to any fruity optimist poetic garbage, I believe that humans have become so dominant in the Federation because of their capacity to breed. It just seems like that dominance is almost always represented by numerical superiority. When there's a colony to assist, who colonized it? Humans!

And as far as humans individually being able to beat physically superior opponents, there are mental attributes which may be intangible, but are no less a racial characteristic - things like innovation and improvisation, adrenal response (fight or flight,) etc. While not nearly as quantifiable as strength, these things nonetheless have a definite impact.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree with you there, Mikey. Particularly on the numerical superiority.
I guess humans are just the galactic equvelant of rabbits? :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, rabbits just ovulate every time they copulate. Humans aren't that physiologically inclined to reproduce - but we're smart enought to just keep tryin'! :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer