Dominion Battlecruiser reappraised

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dominion Battlecruiser reappraised

Post by Mark »

Or if they were "refitted" to serve as destroyers.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

How would they refit them to be a lesser class?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Especially since, as many agree, They were the best they could possibly be in their utilitarian design. Powerful for their size, relatively fast and stable, easy to maintain. The perfect ship for Cardassia, why change it?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

For me, its just a safer bet that they just weren't Cruiser material anymore. The Keldons took that place, which bumped the Galors down to the Destroyer bracket.

IMO
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Makes sense. 'Trek seems to class ships as much by ability and designed role as by size - maybe more - so it stands to reason that a vessel which could no longer do the job of the SOTA cruiser, but could still function as a destroyer, gets re-classed as such.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:Makes sense. 'Trek seems to class ships as much by ability and designed role as by size - maybe more - so it stands to reason that a vessel which could no longer do the job of the SOTA cruiser, but could still function as a destroyer, gets re-classed as such.
Agreed it is then?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'd say so.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wow, that was easy... :shock:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If you want, I could argue a bit... it would be difficult, seeing as how I already agree, but I could try...
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:If you want, I could argue a bit... it would be difficult, seeing as how I already agree, but I could try...
Nah, you're no good with acting like a dumbass. I guess we'll just call this one done.

[ Galor was a cruiser but due to advances in ships was no longer able to match said bracket and was demoted to destroyer status. ]
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Deepcrush wrote:How would they refit them to be a lesser class?

By scaling back resources of the new ships being built. Instead out outfitting them as cruisers, just pack enough into the hull to call it a destroyer and move on.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:By scaling back resources of the new ships being built. Instead out outfitting them as cruisers, just pack enough into the hull to call it a destroyer and move on.
Or changing their weapons fit - it may be that cruisers are optimised for taking on enemy capships while destroyers are anti-fighter ships (or vice-versa). Alternatively cruisers and destroyers might have a different balance between energy weapons and PTs. It might even be a case of them sacrificing endurence for firepower. There are many different ways to define warship types, and size is only one of them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mark wrote:By scaling back resources of the new ships being built. Instead out outfitting them as cruisers, just pack enough into the hull to call it a destroyer and move on.
Or changing their weapons fit - it may be that cruisers are optimised for taking on enemy capships while destroyers are anti-fighter ships (or vice-versa). Alternatively cruisers and destroyers might have a different balance between energy weapons and PTs. It might even be a case of them sacrificing endurence for firepower. There are many different ways to define warship types, and size is only one of them.
Yeah, it really depends on what goes into the designation of a ship in a class. That being said I think since it is a Federation designation that moves them into the destroyer class (I think) it is likely that the threat assessment of them simply changed.

The US used to do that all the time with Soviet bombers of various types. Stuff that was once a heavy bomber became a medium bomber and so on as technology advanced. It was also fairly common with tank designations back when the whole medium and heavy tank designations were still used.

I tend to agree with the rest, the most likely answer is the ships designation was simply changed to reflect how it was being used at that point rather than there having been a major refit of the model. I am not sure what you could really change other than possibly dumping fuel storage and increasing torpedo storage that would be worth the effort. Even then I am not sure what the point would be as it does not seem as if these ships go a long way from home to begin with so I would doubt they have fuel for cruising on long exploratory missions.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indeed, I think I alluded to 'Trek designations having more to do with role than with size or even total firepower.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would certainly make sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"