Star Trek: Excalibur

Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Excalibur

Post by Atekimogus »

I don't know, imho there isn't a game yet which had trek-combat right.

My personal favourite would be starfleet command 1 and 2, but alot of people seem to be bothered by it beeing basically 2d (which is rather smallminded imho) but it really felt like huge battleships slugging it out with immense tactical depth.

All space combat systems working in 3d are either shooter (starfleet/klingon acadamy) or just plain boring after a while (bridge commander). I am curious what they come up with.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But it got repetative after a while.......and it shot cannon straight to hell.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Homeworld. Real 3D combat that is neither a shooter or boring.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:Homeworld. Real 3D combat that is neither a shooter or boring.
Damn straight. Unfortunately, I loaned my copy to a good friend... who proceeded to move to Missouri and then decided to not talk to me because his ex girlfriend from seven years ago is my friend. :bangwall:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I wore out my first copy and bought a second.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm wondering if they still sell it in stores.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't recall. I know I've seen copies of H2 in stores but I can't remember the original. Check on-line. I got my copy of Master of Orion 2 off E-bay for $10.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Tyyr wrote:...Check on-line. I got my copy of Master of Orion 2 off E-bay for $10.
Hard to do with no credit card. :lol:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Thats why I'm a fan of the "pre-paid" debit card. You CAN'T spead more than is on the card, so it's perfect for internet shopping.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mark wrote:Thats why I'm a fan of the "pre-paid" debit card. You CAN'T spead more than is on the card, so it's perfect for internet shopping.
Good point. I've been looking into those lately; I think it's my best option.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mark wrote:But it got repetative after a while.......and it shot cannon straight to hell.
Well, the Starfleet Command series is - afaik - supposed to play in a different universe where the organians never forced peace upon the aq etc. Maybe someone who played the actual pen-paper starfleet battles game knows more about it.

The combat design was the best so far imho, it only got repetative because the mission design was unimaginative and boring.

And - at least for me - a perfect example why you do not need 3d in space strategy. It absolutely served no porpuse other than making it unnecessarily confusing. The first ten-thirty minutes I was battling with the camera and not with the enemy and when all is said and done it plays exactly like a 2d counterpart because, well thats space, only thing that counts is relatve distance.

Sure, you select your unit, point at the enemy unit to attack and then you sure got some nice cinematic beauty shots but it beeing 3d added nothing to the tactical depth of the game imho.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I'm wondering if they still sell it in stores.
I'll look in my box 'o crap. I think I have 1,2 and Cataclysm.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Check EBay and Amazon. They should have it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Check EBay and Amazon. They should have it.
Thus why I said "in stores". I still don't own a credit card. :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Atekimogus wrote:
And - at least for me - a perfect example why you do not need 3d in space strategy. It absolutely served no porpuse other than making it unnecessarily confusing. The first ten-thirty minutes I was battling with the camera and not with the enemy and when all is said and done it plays exactly like a 2d counterpart because, well thats space, only thing that counts is relatve distance.

Sure, you select your unit, point at the enemy unit to attack and then you sure got some nice cinematic beauty shots but it beeing 3d added nothing to the tactical depth of the game imho.
I could not disagree more. Sure, you have to learn how to use the camera and all but if you can't deal with a 30 minute learning curve you should probably stick to games like Serious Sam. If the 3D element seems pointless then I'd suggest the problem was with you and not the game. Many of the missions didn't make great use of the third dimension, though some did, but where it really shined was in multiplayer. If you didn't make use of the third dimension then sucks to be you because the people who did were going to do things to you rarely seen outside of a state prison.