How Much?

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Re: How Much?

Post by Grundig »

I had heard that a sequel was green-lit a few months ago.

At my screening, two foxy girls were dressed up - one as Uhura, and one as an Orion Slave Girl. There were probably 3-400 people; it was an "IMAX" showing, which in this case must have just meant that they turned up the sound system. It was deliciously loud! My fiancee was pretty annoyed about that, but, dude, the sound design was amazing, and totally worth cranking it to 11. The score was pretty well-done too.

Re: How much? I read on trekmovie.com that the thursday screenings made 7 million in the US, and Friday's made 24 million. So... Not a bad start. Projections are for opening weekend to gross 70-75 million or so.
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Grundig wrote:...it was an "IMAX" showing, which in this case must have just meant that they turned up the sound system...
So, you normally have an 80 foot screen? :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Wait, I want to hear more about the girls..........
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

It wasn't an 80-foot screen. It was a large-capacity theater with a crazy sound system. The film looked great, don't get me wrong. But theaterwise it wasn't $5 better than other stuff I've seen (I payed $15 for this show vs. $10. for a normal ticket). And the screen wasn't big enough to create that panorama effect that people talk about. I dunno, it seemed like it was billed as IMAX, but it wasn't as hardcore as I expected.

To appease Mark: The girls were sitting in the front row, and it was dark. The Orion was wearing a tiny bikini and green paint, and the Uhura was wearing the classic red one-piece (very short). Didn't see the much, but I felt somehow fortunate that they came to the same screening as me... :P
Last edited by Grundig on Sun May 10, 2009 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Cage
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Of course you do Mark...
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Grundig wrote:It wasn't an 80-foot screen. It was a large-capacity theater with a crazy sound system. The film looked great, don't get me wrong. But theaterwise it wasn't $5 better than other stuff I've seen (I payed $15 for this show vs. $10. for a normal ticket). And the screen wasn't big enough to create that panorama effect that people talk about. I dunno, it seemed like it was billed as IMAX, but it wasn't as hardcore as I expected.
:wtf:

IMAX Theater
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Grundig wrote:It wasn't an 80-foot screen. It was a large-capacity theater with a crazy sound system. The film looked great, don't get me wrong. But theaterwise it wasn't $5 better than other stuff I've seen (I payed $15 for this show vs. $10. for a normal ticket). And the screen wasn't big enough to create that panorama effect that people talk about. I dunno, it seemed like it was billed as IMAX, but it wasn't as hardcore as I expected.

To appease Mark: The girls were sitting in the front row, and it was dark. The Orion was wearing a tiny bikini and green paint, and the Uhura was wearing the classic red one-piece (very short). Didn't see the much, but I felt somehow fortunate that they came to the same screening as me... :P

:Drool1:

You should have tried to recruit them for DITL
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Four times, Kennedy's? very nice! I figure I'll see it at least 2 more times in theatres, maybe another couple when it comes to the $3 bargain-plex in 2 months.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Gotta ask, did you guys pay for four tickets each, or just stay in the theater?
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Tsukiyumi wrote: :wtf:

IMAX Theater
Yeah.... No. That's not what we got.
John Cage
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm hitting my local IMAX at 11:15 am tomorrow for the first show.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Grundig wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote: :wtf:

IMAX Theater
Yeah.... No. That's not what we got.
Wow, what a rip.
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Yeah. Oh well. I'd have paid more to see the movie.
John Cage
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark wrote:Gotta ask, did you guys pay for four tickets each, or just stay in the theater?
Neither. The Cineworld chain offers an unlimited card where you pay £11 a month and in return you can have tickets to any movie, any time in any of their cinemas (except the central London one). I can watch movies all day every day if I want to, no extra cost. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Mark wrote:Gotta ask, did you guys pay for four tickets each, or just stay in the theater?
Neither. The Cineworld chain offers an unlimited card where you pay £11 a month and in return you can have tickets to any movie, any time in any of their cinemas (except the central London one). I can watch movies all day every day if I want to, no extra cost. :)
That's a great idea. :)