A problem with "Sacrifice of Angels"

Deep Space Nine
Daniel
Petty officer third class

Post by Daniel »

Well think about it the Fleet that engaged the Domion Fleet was huge and we never saw the Entire Fleet so the Soverigns could have been there and i read somewhere that the Enterprise was there. And the Sovs could have been Else where as the Fleet that went to DS9 was a Small fraction of the Total UFP-Klignon Force
Daniel Clark
Member of the ST RP's:
USS Endeavour and
Starbase 49
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

According to DITL, three were in service from 2372. It's safe to assume that they weren't able to get to the scene in time. Remember, when he decided to go ahead and attack Sisko still had additional fleets en route that couldn't make it in time to prevent the minefield from being taken down.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Yeah. Again, they could have simply been assigned to different fleets, too. Not every ship in Starfleet was involved, obviously.

Of course it is also true that maybe we just didn't see them.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

In real world terms, the Sovereign class was never seen outside the movies, and one brief instance in ENT: Asati Prime, where you can see a Sovereign outside the window.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You can?
:?
Must look out for that. (If I bother watching it again)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Sorry, but I don't really see the problem. The entire point of a 'moving wall' formation, such as that used by the Dominion in Sacrifice of Angels, is to prevent such a tactic; they form a solid wall in space with their shields, meaning that any attempt to warp past them would simply result in the ship slamming full-speed into the enemy's shields, an impact that I very much doubt either ship would survive. The only way to get past such a formation is to do exactly what Sisko did; punch a hole in the lines and hope that in the disarray some ships can slip past.
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Crushproof wrote:In real world terms, the Sovereign class was never seen outside the movies, and one brief instance in ENT: Asati Prime, where you can see a Sovereign outside the window.
screencap please?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Captain Peabody;

Could they not just warp around them in that case? I don't think there was anything preventing that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

JudgeKing wrote:
Crushproof wrote:In real world terms, the Sovereign class was never seen outside the movies, and one brief instance in ENT: Asati Prime, where you can see a Sovereign outside the window.
screencap please?
Afraid I don't have one, bud. Don't have the Enterprise DVDs :?
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Rochey, you have to remember that the Dominion fleet was warp-capable as well. I imagine they easily could have shifted positions to match any smaller manuevers. I suppose Sisko and co. could also have simply split the fleet up and gone around all four sides at the same time, but that probably would have resulted in massive casualties, and would still have no garuntee of getting a ship through. It's a good point, though. Obviously, more thought is required... :?
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Space Ghost wrote:I do believe there is a Sovereign that is briefly visible during the Chin'toka invasion a year later. If memory serves, it was after a Galaxy destroyed a deactivated Cardassian ODP. Just after it flew by with the rest of the fleet, I think there is a Sovereign in the upper left corner of the screen. I could be wrong, though. Screenshots anyone?
Since I remember reading somewhere that the Sov was restricted to the films to keep the E-E special, it was probably an Excelsior. Get the angles right and the two can look very similar
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Yeah, we've talked about that earlier in the thread (Thanks for reminding us what it was about :oops: ).

You have what we decided the problem was dead-on. Why not warp around? Because they can too, and because of the situation in Sacrifice..., that situation is unacceptably advantageous for the Dominion. The Federation warps around, the Dominion chases. Their fastest ships catch up and attack the rear, forcing many ships out of warp, to be finished off at the leisure of the larger Dominion fleet.

Unless there is some division (where the lead elements of the Federation fleet continue on and the rest turn and fight), which is dangerous in its own right, Sisko made about the best decision possible.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe they should have tried attacking DS9 from different angles? After all, its far easier to defend something if your enemies are all bunched up in one area.
Devore Sergez

Post by Devore Sergez »

if the fleet did that they would have been defeated anyway. the dominion fleet would have known where they were going so they would be sandwiched between Terok Nor- and the Fleet - so lets face it it was a doomed mission anyway. and if they attacked in different angles may have been better however they dominion still out numbered them 2 to 1
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

All points are good points but in the end if one fleet warps then the other warps and dividing the fed fleet would have just made the defeat even worse for Sisko.

Sisko was smart. He used fighters armed with PT's to attack cardie ships which have poor shields and are easy prey to torpedo strikes as fighters are easy to replace and thus can be lost in great numbers even by the fed. Between the fighters, sensor blocks and long range PT ships like the akira and galaxy class, Sisko was able to cause damage dominion fleet without losing any of his capital ships. Dukat was just as smart by forcing sisko to attack and not allow him to buy anymore time or cause anymore unreturned losses. Dukat not only saw Sisko's plan but also knew that he couldn't just allow half his fleet to be cut up right in front of him. The battle is beautiful for its tactics and shows two great commanders going head to head. Where "way of the warrior" was just a boxing match.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu