Some Coalition Uniforms

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Some Coalition Uniforms

Post by Monroe »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I have in mind that the uniforms and boots are made of smart materials which can change colours and camo patterns to some extent. Not quite up to the Predator invisibility screen, but matching whatever background you are against. I'm even thinking of having the material be capable of "puffing up" to become thicker and a much better insulator in cold weather.

And yes, there will be various battle gear including solid and forcefield armour, helmets, and ANBCN gear (Antimatter, Nuclear, Biological, Chemical, Nanological).
ooo ANBCN. I'd love to see some MOPP(6?) gear. MOPP= mission orientated protective posture.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

out of curiosity, what program do you use to make your designs?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Lt. Staplic wrote:out of curiosity, what program do you use to make your designs?
Photoshop, see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3109
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Marine armoured combat uniform. The outer layer is physical armour plate, with a light forcefield unit mounted on the chest. Beneath is a ANBCN suit. This provides protection from chemical, biological hazards and radioactive threats. The material is also impregnated with defensive nanites of several kinds to resist nanological attack. The air supply offers a choice of filtered or canned air.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And I almost hesitate to post it, but... standard issue military underwear... :lol:

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Liking the armored combat uniform, how much punishment can those take before putting the occupant at risk?
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

MetalHead wrote:Liking the armored combat uniform, how much punishment can those take before putting the occupant at risk?
Well, with super high tech weapons and material and all, you have to assume lots and lots. :)
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

I do assume alot...but are we talking like HALO Where the suit provides protection using the forcefield, where the user can actively move around and engage his opponents while still being fully protected?

What would you say is the general level of balance between offensive and defensive technologies in the coalitionverse?

Also, have you coonsidered starting a free Wiki for this stuff? You've got loads of information...
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

MetalHead wrote:I do assume alot...but are we talking like HALO Where the suit provides protection using the forcefield, where the user can actively move around and engage his opponents while still being fully protected?
I don't know HALO at all. The idea of the armour is that the forcefield provides lots of protection, but using it will light you up on sensors for a considerable distance around. You're pretty safe inside a forcefield, but you're also a "bullet" magnet. The physical plates provide a lot less protection, but they're stealthy.
What would you say is the general level of balance between offensive and defensive technologies in the coalitionverse?
In terms of Coalition armour vs Coalition weapons; physical plates would hold out against several bursts from a personal weapon like an assault rifle, or one short burst from a support weapon. A forcefield would be perhaps ten times better than that. How that stacks up against others depends; certainly something like an M16 or M2 would be utterly useless.
Also, have you coonsidered starting a free Wiki for this stuff? You've got loads of information...
There's actually a website for it hidden within a secret folder on DITL. What I put up here is to a large extent copied and pasted from there. There's a lot of outdated and incomplete stuff on there, though.
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

So when you say a couple of bursts from a standard coalition modular weapon system, are we talking taking the bursts lightly or are these shots going to put someone on their ass, as it were?

PS - I'm addicted to this coalitionverse,lol

Booze and Strippers!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

MetalHead wrote:So when you say a couple of bursts from a standard coalition modular weapon system, are we talking taking the bursts lightly or are these shots going to put someone on their ass, as it were?

PS - I'm addicted to this coalitionverse,lol
The standard assault rifle these guys carry is a plasma rifle; it fires a little forcefield full of plasma that "pops" when it hits the target. Released energy is more than enough to knock you on your ass.

Bear in mind that these guys are light infantry. Their job is to hold territory like cities, fight inside buildings around the civilian population, etc. Their weapons can't be too powerful or else there'd be little of the city to hold. Paratroops in powered armour are the heavy infantry, and they use things like projectile weapons with micronuke shells.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

you might want to include a face mask in the arctic gear. Arctic means it's opstly quite coldout there, and as such, your face puts out a lot of heat. the uniform could keep in the energy much more efficient by putting a face mask in there, because then less warmth can escape.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

shran wrote:you might want to include a face mask in the arctic gear. Arctic means it's opstly quite coldout there, and as such, your face puts out a lot of heat. the uniform could keep in the energy much more efficient by putting a face mask in there, because then less warmth can escape.
Good idea, I'll do a balaclava style face covering and maybe snow goggles too.

Any other significant variations people think we should see? I'm trying for a powered armour paratrooper suit at the moment, but it's going a little slowly.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Gym unifirm, I know a my army friends have issued gear for work outs...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Updated Marine Arctic Uniform