Dogfight 1: 'Valiant' Dominion Battleship vs Sovereign

Deep Space Nine
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dogfight 1: 'Valiant' Dominion Battleship vs Sovereign

Post by Mark »

They could estimate, by factoring in it's shield output, number of weapon inplacements, hull density, and power output, I'd imagine.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

For reasons already mentioned, the Sov could win - but ONLY if it had an advantageous scenario; surprise, avoiding fire until at close range, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Exactly. Pit them head to head in a straight up fight in an empty part of space, it would be the battleship. Same situation in say a debirs or asteroid field, and the Sov COULD use cover to get in close, and get off a powerful point blank or short range barrage.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The same could said for any battle. Also the Sov could use its mass of PTs and QTs to lay in some good hurt at long range.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

Granitehewer wrote:Both ships with regular non-hero crews, no external support, no deus ex machina, no plot devices etc

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I give this one solidly to sovvie. She held her own against the scimitar, and I am sure that the scimitar would utterly decimate the Dominion Battleship. I am not basing this on any solid technical grounds, maybe it's sovvie fanboyism,. but I seriously believe that the sovereign would solidly take this one.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, in Bridge Commander, you can use the Sov's maneuverability to get in the Battleship's blind spots, and tear it apart.

Of course, IU, we don't know how many blind spots the Battleship has.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It might not have "blind spots" but it would have weaker areas of fire.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I just find this as a poor match up. I'm sure the Sov would deal some hurt. Though, in the end I see the Battleship taking the win. The Sov just isn't built to take on a ship like that. Though, a safer count would be the mass vs mass. How many Sovs would we get out of the Battleship?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I give this one solidly to sovvie. She held her own against the scimitar, and I am sure that the scimitar would utterly decimate the Dominion Battleship. I am not basing this on any solid technical grounds, maybe it's sovvie fanboyism,. but I seriously believe that the sovereign would solidly take this one
The Scimitar's been shown to be surprisingly weak when it comes to combat. We've had several rather heated debates on the subject.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I tend to give this one to the Dominion Battleship.

Now I know I run probably dangerously close to becoming unpopular here but the Sovereign is - only for me personally - not in the same class as the heavy hitters of the other major powers.

I see here more as the top notch modern Excelsior replacement, a battlecruiser currently surpassing the galaxy design in combat strength but when talking about the heavies, the battleships, I am still waiting for an adequate Galaxy replacement. (Probably for a long long time :| )
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

I would think weapon range would be important. If the Sovereigns phasers and torpedoes had longer range then combined with its manoeuvrability it could pound on that battleship. Even without range, the rear arc of the battle ship may not be covered by enough weapons to fend off a ship like a Sovereign. If I remember right the rear of the battle ships is taken up mostly by here impulse engines.
Rochey wrote:The Scimitar's been shown to be surprisingly weak when it comes to combat. We've had several rather heated debates on the subject.
Very true, it seems the Simitar's best weapon was her cloak.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would think weapon range would be important. If the Sovereigns phasers and torpedoes had longer range then combined with its manoeuvrability it could pound on that battleship. Even without range, the rear arc of the battle ship may not be covered by enough weapons to fend off a ship like a Sovereign. If I remember right the rear of the battle ships is taken up mostly by here impulse engines.
First, why does the Sov's torps have better range then the Dominion torps?
Second, we don't know the firepower of the aft arc of the Dominion BB.
Third, even if the rear is mostlly engines. Torps have this thing about turning, as does the ship.
m52nickerson
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by m52nickerson »

Deepcrush wrote:
First, why does the Sov's torps have better range then the Dominion torps?
Second, we don't know the firepower of the aft arc of the Dominion BB.
Third, even if the rear is mostlly engines. Torps have this thing about turning, as does the ship.
1. I did say IF!
2. Correct
3. It would depend on how well the Dominion torpedoes turned and tracked targets.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day........beat that man to death........you have an extra fish.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The big issue with the Jem'Hadar battleship is that we've never seen it in action against a battleship - only a Defiant which, for all its firepower, is best compared to a destroyer or torpedo boat. Certainly they're maneuverable enough to avoid the big guns of the Regent or the JH battlecruisers. For this reason it's at least possible that the battleship was only using its point-defence guns against the Valiant, whereas a Sov would receive the full force of it's main armament.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Kevsha
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Kevsha »

well... in open space with no other factors and ships starting a set distance away from eachother and no technobabble to help them... i would say the dominion BB

this battle would pretty much be a slugging match which even if they went blow for blow the dom BB would still win. but the Dom BB would leave the battle beaten and broken and i'm sure would no longer be combat effective