Vorta is the matter with Duras?

Deep Space Nine

Would in different circumstances, the klingons ally with the dominion?

Yes, it would be glorious!
56%
Yes, but there would be substantial rifts
22%
No, never !
22%

Total votes: 9
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Vorta is the matter with Duras?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, who was that? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm with a no-never. The Klingons would have to take a backseat to the Dominion, something that their pride wouldn't allow. Plus, they'd have to share the "glory", something that they just HATE.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Chris Propst
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Chris Propst »

I could totally see it happening if the right circumstances allowed. The alliance with the Federation was, in terms of the realities of Klingon politics and 24th century political culture, pretty improbable. But, their are no friends in alliances, only interests.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

indeed, despite many voices in the council clamouring for war with the federation (redemption), the alliance was maintained, and so it could be with an even more pervasive force like the dominion.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm with a no-never. The Klingons would have to take a backseat to the Dominion, something that their pride wouldn't allow. Plus, they'd have to share the "glory", something that they just HATE.
1) The KE was happy enough to follow the UFP's lead in the war itself. And if their interests were seriously threatened, they'd swallow their pride very quickly.
2) The Klingons wouldn't risk destruction for something as stupid as trying to hog glory.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That depends on which Klingon's are in power at the moment. Remember, the Klingon's first mobilsed at the prodding of a Founder pretending to be Martok. And Gowron was ready to throw his forces away to make himself look good in season 7. I just don't think the Klingon's would ever risk becoming "2nd class" citizens like the Cardies did.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The Cardies had no intention of becoming second class citizens - Dukat's aim was to restore Cardassia to it's former power, and in the aftermath of the Federation wars I can easily see a Klingon leader making the same choice. They'd see themselves as equal partners in an alliance with the Dominion, just as the Cardassians did, regardless of the actual situation.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That's true. But the Cardies tend to think a bit differently from the Klingons. Cardies are arrogant, but Klingons are proud. I'm assuming that's one of the reasons they never joined the Federation after the events of STVI. I just don't see them admiting that they needed somebody's help. Don't get me wrong, they allied with the Federation and Romulans because they didn't have a choice. None of the AQ powers could have survived alone.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

They'd been allied to the Federation for decades before WotW, they'd been allied to the Romulans in the 23rd century, and Duras was willing to ally with them again. They've shown no indication of persuing anything but a realist foreign policy. Yes, they're proud, but they've never shown any inclination of rejecting a beneficial alliance because of that. Indeed, they split with the Federation because the Feds refused to get involved with the attack on Cardassia - somewhat surprising if they were obessed with honour-hogging. As Worf said, "in war nothing is more honourable than victory", and if an alliance with the Dominion would give them victory, ally with the Dominion the Klingons would.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You do have a point, and maybe I'm looking at it unrealisticly, but again, to me it would still depend on who was in charge. Duras, certainly. K'Mpec, maybe. Gowron, possibly. Martok, no.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:You do have a point, and maybe I'm looking at it unrealisticly, but again, to me it would still depend on who was in charge. Duras, certainly. K'Mpec, maybe. Gowron, possibly. Martok, no.
Even Martok, given the right circumstances. The only ties he had to the Federation were years of fighting alongside them and his friendship with Worf. Neither would be a factor in this scenario. You're looking at the Klingons as they claim to be - brave, honest, honourable, solid allies of the Fderation and with the interests of the Alpha Quadrant at the heart of all their actions. I'm looking at them as they actually are - placing their own strategic interests above all else, and willing to to whatever they deem necessary to secure and expand the political influence of the Empire. If that involves forming an alliance with the Dominion, so be it.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You may be right :oops:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Put simply, all the Empire's leaders' ramblings about honour and glory have nothing to do with their policies. They ramble on about all that stuff, but never actualy give a damn. It's quite similar to how Bush claimed to be supporting the troops in Iraq while simultaneously fucking them over every chance he got.

Don't gauge how someone will react to circumstances by what they say, but by what they do. In this situation, we've seen again and again the the Klingons will ally with others when it's in their best interests.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

The Klingons can't bask in glory if they lose a war, after all...

Regardless of their role in any victory, the Klingons have been known to rewrite history in their favor (at least, within the bounds of the space in which Klingon-written history has authority), as well. (see: Gowron, Klingon Civil War)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So the best thing to do would to ask oneself what the Romulans would do, and figure the Klingons won't be off the mark then, I seems.