UCS Rabbit

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: UCS Rabbit

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nice - it's surprising just how much of a difference a few extra details make. I assume the white ball thing is a sensor array, but what's the new addition to the fore-starboard lower hull?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's part of the drive system. All the ships have (or should have) something like that in the bow; it's used to open up a hole from normal space into midspace so the ship can fly in and use the midspace drive for FTL travel.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Does that aspect of the drive system increase with the size of ship?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:Does that aspect of the drive system increase with the size of ship?
Bigger ships need a bigger hole to go through, which takes a bigger hole maker.

If you look at something like the Kororra class, you see it's got these little red things all over. They are there so that the main guns can fire at targets in normal space while the ship is in midspace, or vice versa; you need to make a hole for the round to fly through. Small guns have the hole maker (I need a better name for them I know) mounted on the gun itself, but beyond a certain size they are too big for that. They also have a limited field of action, so if you have a big turret mounted gun you need a hole maker facing forwards, another to each side, etc - covering all the angles the gun can face.

But on top of those you'll see the Kororra has one big hole maker on the bow; that one makes a much bigger hole for the ship itself to pass through.

I've done a new mod of the Rabbit - there was no way into the shuttles, and since I had in mind that they had a rear access door it seemed pointless to put another one on the side too. So I've flipped them around so you can access the read hatch from the ship.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I've done a new mod of the Rabbit - there was no way into the shuttles, and since I had in mind that they had a rear access door it seemed pointless to put another one on the side too. So I've flipped them around so you can access the read hatch from the ship.
It's always good to be able to in or out of your shuttles. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Rift generator?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Internal systems layout.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A new size comp for the smaller ships; the Kavanaugh class corvette, Longfellow class system defence ship, Rabbit class patrol craft, and Porad-Altina cargo hauler - along with a Saturn V and space shuttle.

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I like this size chart, really puts it in perspective. Its small enough I'd dare say it could do some planetary patrol functions.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IDK, I like "hole-maker," although maybe it's more appropriate for the guns themselves. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Would going into midspace be like entering an actual gate connecting real space and midspace, then I'd say Gate Generator.
If it would be more like transitioning the entire ship at once to midspace, perhaps something like jumper or transitioner.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I am picturing it as "rift generator".
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

point to me :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Gateways, portals... they're nice and all, but "rift" sounds like there's something *wrong* with the universe... like it's torn...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Almost as if your ships force, tear and batter their way into midspace.