Stats of the All Good Things Galaxy-class?

The Next Generation
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Stats of the All Good Things Galaxy-class?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Eh, there is a pretty large fleet of Nebs with the same saucer and presumably similar power plants that might be able to fit these beasts. Then, there are Sov's. You do have a point wrt the smaller ships, though I recall Graham mentioning that the Defiant could have been made with it's "dustbuster" front deflector-scoop-thing being a superphaser of some sort. At least that would look a bit more sensible than such power coming from relatively puny phaser cannon.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I thought pulse weapons have time and again proven more powerful than beam ones, but the beam ones provide more precision, accuracy and control. That was my understanding anyway.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:I thought pulse weapons have time and again proven more powerful than beam ones, but the beam ones provide more precision, accuracy and control. That was my understanding anyway.
That is the understanding indeed; however, this is applied to phaser beam vs phaser cannon of similar average power output over a period of time. Pulse weapons or not, the destruction the Defiant-class ships are able to wreak does seem out of place, especially given the small physical size of her actual phaser cannon.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I thought pulse weapons have time and again proven more powerful than beam ones, but the beam ones provide more precision, accuracy and control. That was my understanding anyway.
That is the understanding indeed; however, this is applied to phaser beam vs phaser cannon of similar average power output over a period of time. Pulse weapons or not, the destruction the Defiant-class ships are able to wreak does seem out of place, especially given the small physical size of her actual phaser cannon.
True. I imagine the mere rate of fire does push up the power somewhat, but nowhere near to the amount that Defiant[i/] and Valiant can push out.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Bryan Moore wrote:The thing is, it looks as if the Klingons didn't even have shields up. Seems odd.
We didn't see the effect of the first hit, so it's possible, perhaps even likely given the effect of the subsequent shots, that it was enough to bring down the shields.

As for the relative strength of the Negh'var, the design is thirty years old by this point - it wouldn't be at all surprising if it had been relegated to a patrol/fleet support role, and a new design was the Empire's battleship.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:The thing is, it looks as if the Klingons didn't even have shields up. Seems odd.
We didn't see the effect of the first hit, so it's possible, perhaps even likely given the effect of the subsequent shots, that it was enough to bring down the shields.

As for the relative strength of the Negh'var, the design is thirty years old by this point - it wouldn't be at all surprising if it had been relegated to a patrol/fleet support role, and a new design was the Empire's battleship.
Right, but by that time the GCS herself was an even older design, albeit heavily modified.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

True, but the Negh'vars were in (roughly) their original configuration. The E-D had gone through a refit rivalling that of the E-nil.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, it's not too implausable for it to have surpassed them so much.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The AGT-GCS is almost a totally new ship.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, I imagine that only the hull of the ship is the same. The inside is probably massively different.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lets not forget the Klingon love of boarding parties. It would be a safe bet they dropped their sheilds and AGTED got a nice soft under belly shot.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Lets not forget the Klingon love of boarding parties. It would be a safe bet they dropped their sheilds and AGTED got a nice soft under belly shot.
They couldn't do this before they had brought down E-D's shields, though (unless they were captained by a complete moron). If E-D's shields were down, she should have been ripped to shreds by the Negh'Var's disruptpr fire.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I think Deep was refering to the possibility of them sending boarding parties against the Pasteur. I doubt that - it's a hospital ship, so the crew are unlikely to put up a serious fight and it would therefore be something of a dissapointment from the Klingons' point of view. Plus I don't think the Pasteur's shields were down by the time the E-D showed up.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Says something for the shields. You'd think two Negh'vars vs a hospital ship would be a short fight.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

You would, but there it is. Presumably the ship was given heavy shields due to the amount of injured it may be carrying through combat zones.