Klingon Empire vs Vulcans

Enterprise
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Klingon Empire vs Vulcans

Post by KuvahMagh »

Its hard to judge really, we don't get any good look at the empire during Ent, really we don't have Canon evidence for just how big it is in the later series, at this point the empire could be 5 worlds or 50. Same with Vulcan Colonies, we don't know how many there are, what resources they have, how quickly they can pull it all together or anything. We know that the Vulcans didn't like to get involved with the Klingons from Broken Bow but that could mean anything and likely has more to do with their desire to avoid War, that and the fact that their military seemed preoccupied with Andoria.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Mikey wrote:Such as?
Well to repeat myself...

In TOS they were a match for the Federation. The Federation is made up of several species including the Vulcans and Andorians both rather powerful on their own aswell as several other weaker powers.

If in TOS they are a match for the Vulcans plus several other powers we could assume that in ENT they were considerably bigger and more powerful than the Vulcans alone. Either that or they had a very very rapid growth from ENT to TOS.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In what part of TOS did we see all-out war between the Klingons and the UFP? All I remember were a few isolated incidents, each with no more than a few ships involved.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Federation took them seriously and it was implied that they were a power that could at the least stand up to the Federation.

That implies power signifigantly greater than any member of the Federation could field alone.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It doesn't necessarily imply greater territory.
Russia feared Nazi Germany, despite the fact that the Germans controlled far less land than them.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Size of the empire is irrelivant in this case. Its the power they can field and it is implied that the Klingons have great power meaning they either have a large empire or a very well developed small one. Either way they would have more industiral power than the Vulcans it would seem.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The UFP is also known to be completely phobic of open hostilities. What was implied is that they didn't want to go to war with the Klingons; any reasoning behind that motivation is completely conjectural.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

While true I doubt the Federation would be quite so cautious about provoking the Klingons if they were only as powerful as a fraction of the UFP's power.

Also wasnt it implied in that episode with the super aliens pretending to be simple people on a planet that a UFP/Klingon war would be very bloody?

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Iraq and Afghanistan are both very bloody; does either of those nations match up to the US in pure conventional military ability?
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Very bloody? In terms of wars America has been involved in Iraq is the equivilant of stubbing your toe.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So now your analysis depends on the interpretation of the phrase "very bloody."
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think very bloody means Very bloody. To claim that a war where you lose as many troops in a year as some lost in a single day in WWI is very bloody is pretty poor comparison.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And Vietnam, in comparison to WW2, was a walk in the park.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:And Vietnam, in comparison to WW2, was a walk in the park.
Exactly my point. I didn't say "very bloody in comparison to WWI" - I said, "very bloody." By that logic, you would interpret Rochey's quote above as meaning Vietnam had little bloodshed (in an absolute sense) and was an easily-fought conflict.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just my point. When does a war become "very bloody"? When it has 1000 casualties? Ten thousand, a hundred thousand, a million?