Rihannsu Redux

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Rihannsu Redux

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's questionable whether the Sov is armoured, and certain that it isn't well-armoured - look at all those windows.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, the amount of windows is just plain dumb. On the other hand, the hull did seem to stand up fairly well to taking damage. It wasn't too badly affected by ramming the Scimitar.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It seems to me that Trek relies more on shields and SIF then hull and armour. Pretty stupid seeing how the tough the Defiant is after taking all the above.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Given the amount of weapons seen on the Sov and how well it did in the ramming I'm guessing it just has a kick arse SIF.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, the Defiant class was designed purely for combat, so some genius in R&D obviously thought "armour = good".
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Armour might not be cost effective on larger ships - The Defiant has less power to draw on, they may have favoured armor over boosting the shields.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Depending on the cost, it may be unfeasable to armour larger ships.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I don't think so. You're better of forking the cost to protect a ship that you've put so much effort into building. Look at the difference between the TNG-GCS and the DW-GCS. Seeing how many times we saw the E-D go up in smoke over minor things... what do you think would cost more? Putting armor on a ship or building a new one and replacing a lost crew.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

If the Federation had infinite resources, sure. It doesn't though, so they have to decide whether they want to concentrate on new builds, or to pull a GCS out of the line long enough to up-armour it, taking up dock space and resources that would otherwise be used for those new builds. They'd probably be better off with the first solution and keep their fingers crossed on the GCS - the thing's so badly designed to start with that there isn't much they can do other than correct those flaws as best they can in newer ships.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They should have worried about the armor to begin with. Plus, the GCS we see fighting in the DW are a lot tougher then the ones we see in TNG. While there is no such thing as infinite resource, there is such a thing as a waste of resource.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You've gotta weight the costs of armouring vs just upping the power of the shields, rather than spending resources on armour they just up the shild power. Shields are far more versatile and seemingly better at resisting damage, we have never really seen a well armoured ship, maybe it is just unfesable.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. Especially in a war footing; in which speed of build and economy of resources is more crucial.
Rochey wrote:Well, the Defiant class was designed purely for combat, so some genius in R&D obviously thought "armour = good".
And was then promptly sacked for that particular leap of common sense. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Teaos wrote:You've gotta weight the costs of armouring vs just upping the power of the shields, rather than spending resources on armour they just up the shild power. Shields are far more versatile and seemingly better at resisting damage, we have never really seen a well armoured ship, maybe it is just unfesable.
Thats my thinking too. On a larger ship with a larger powergrid, shields may be more cost effective. On the Defiant, with less power to draw on, Armour may be more practicle.

And it was an experimental ship, it may have been armoured just to test the armour - cost effective or not.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."