How did Khan survive?

The Original Series
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: How did Khan survive?

Post by Mark »

Kahn's ego. How sweet it would have been for him to see "regular" humans fail miserably and die in an enviornment in which he led his people through and survived. He likely considered that, "poetic". His actions actually make perfect sense to me, as I understand him.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mark wrote:Terell said they were marooned on Ceti Alpha V. And at the end of ST II they were going to pick them up, IIRC.
Yes, but the question is if they survived the interim. How'd they ascertain they were still alive at the end of WOK?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I don't think that they did. How long would they have been on that planet? A few days no problem. A few weeks, however, and people would have long since started dying off.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

To Reign In Hell: The Exile Of Khan Noonien Singh does an excellent job of filling in the blanks of the exile. Basically they survived in caves and tunnels they dug under the cargo containers and farmed rice and vegtables from the crops they saved after the biosphere collapsed. They also suffered enormous attrition from the eels.

BTW: There's nothing in canon saying the Reliant was staffed by scientists. We all know that the Fleet pulls double duty.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Why would Reliant be staffed by scientists? She was a Starfleet deep space exploration vessel assigned to the Regula One science research post. She would have had a regular Starfleet crew, as evidenced by both Chekov and Mr. Kyle being on board.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Basically they survived in caves and tunnels they dug under the cargo containers and farmed rice and vegtables from the crops they saved after the biosphere collapsed.
How do you grow plants in a cave? They need natural light ect.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:
With the lights and power supplies that Kirk left them, which included some type of long running generator.

Edit: Ever hear of hydroponics? There's all kinds of stuff available now to grow plants indoors, including lights.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:
Basically they survived in caves and tunnels they dug under the cargo containers and farmed rice and vegtables from the crops they saved after the biosphere collapsed.
They need light, which can come from any source. They had hydroponics bays on DS9 and Voyager and an arboretum on E-D.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, it's not too hard to imagine how Khan and co. survived, but it wouldn't be an easy existance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mithrandir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mithrandir »

Rochey wrote:Yeah, it's not too hard to imagine how Khan and co. survived, but it wouldn't be an easy existance.
No wonder the guy was quite...disgruntled. :wink:
Image AEIOU: Austria erit in orbe ultima! Image
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

My Wife is dead, I only have Moby Dick to read, and - dammit! Mushroom Pie with Fungi sauve for dinner again?
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

kostmayer wrote:My Wife is dead, I only have Moby Dick to read, and - dammit! Mushroom Pie with Fungi sauve for dinner again?
That would turn me into a homicidal maniac as well.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:
That would turn me into a homicidal maniac as well.
I'm sure the rebellion against his rule didn't help much either.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:To Reign In Hell: The Exile Of Khan Noonien Singh does an excellent job of filling in the blanks of the exile. Basically they survived in caves and tunnels they dug under the cargo containers and farmed rice and vegtables from the crops they saved after the biosphere collapsed. They also suffered enormous attrition from the eels.

BTW: There's nothing in canon saying the Reliant was staffed by scientists. We all know that the Fleet pulls double duty.
Yeah, an excellent novel. No wonder Khan was so obsessed at the end...

I do wonder, though. What would've happened if Ceti Alpha XI didn't explode? What would the Reliant have found then?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

They would have found Ceti Alpha VI. Remember, they were looking for Ceti Alpha VI not V. They mistook V for VI.