Tuvix

Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

As has been mentioned before, Voyager needed every individual it could get, and therefore both from the perspective of both the crew in general and Tuvok and Nelix in particular, the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few...or the one.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
CluckyB
Petty officer third class

Post by CluckyB »

Captain Seafort wrote:As has been mentioned before, Voyager needed every individual it could get, and therefore both from the perspective of both the crew in general and Tuvok and Nelix in particular, the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few...or the one.
But you do not commit an immoral action to get an additional crew member. They could maybe have found a way to clone crew members, or at least enslaved some inferior species. Both those actions would have increased the crew size... if killing Tuvix to increase crew size is a just action, then so would either of those alternatives. And if you are gonna break the prime directive in such a manner, why did you destroy the array in the first place?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:As has been mentioned before, Voyager needed every individual it could get,
No, it didn't. Voyager crewmembers were killed on many occasions and the ship kept running. Losing people may certainly have been an inconvenience, but Voyager did not need every member of the crew to remain operational.
and therefore both from the perspective of both the crew in general and Tuvok and Nelix in particular, the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few...or the one.
You are really suggesting that the government's military need gives it the right to murder people for recruitment purposes?
Last edited by Graham Kennedy on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

No, I'm suggesting that Tuvix's very existence deprived two other individuals of their existence. Given that he shouldn't exist in the first place (Vulcans, Talaxians and flowers not being compatable in most circumstances), his memories and experiences will continue to exist within Tuvok and Nelix, and his continued existence gives you a tactical officer that is 50% Nelix, restoring the natural state of affairs does not appear to be the out-and-out murder that people have been desribing it as.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I think it's nonsensical to talk about it in terms of people still existing after the process. It's like saying that if I melt the Mona Lisa down and use the paint to make two other paintings, then they are 50% the Mona Lisa. But that doesn't work; the ML is not the paint as such, it is the pattern of the paint.

Similarly with people; you have half your mother's DNA, but you are not half your mother. Tuvix was made from Tom and Neelix, but he was not Tom and Neelix. he was a new person. So the situation did quite simply come down to deliberately murdering one person to save two. And this is NOT how the Federation is meant to work.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

In a large sense, it was murder. While I can see her reasoning, the she did destroy another life. But as Graham said, Janeway's way of command was pretty bizarre and often harsh.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Tuvix was never ment to be Tuvok and Nelix were they win.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
CluckyB

Post by CluckyB »

Meant to be? How was Tuvix any less meant to be than Tuvok or Neelix? Maybe Tuvok and Neelix came into existence more naturally, but I don't see how you can say he wasn't 'Meant to be'. How do you know Neelix's parents were trying for a child when they had him?

Tom Riker was created due to a similar transporter accident. And while having two Riker's proved to be a significant security risk, they let Tom lead a normal natural life. How is that any different?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Because letting Tom live didn't kill the other Riker.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

What about Tuvok and Neelix's right to exist, to throw a bone out there?
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

it really comes down to this:

is it morally justifiable to kill one person so two others may live.

And none of that "Tuvok and Neelix still existed inside Tuvix." The people that Tuvok and Neelix were ceased to exist the moment that Tuvix appeared.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tiberius wrote:it really comes down to this:

is it morally justifiable to kill one person so two others may live.

And none of that "Tuvok and Neelix still existed inside Tuvix." The people that Tuvok and Neelix were ceased to exist the moment that Tuvix appeared.
Since neither Tuvok nor Neelix had any say in it... I'd say yes.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In this paticular case I say kill Tuvix and get the other two back. This isn't something people can agree on since it is a moral question.

CluckyB

Post by CluckyB »

But in "Prey" Janeway defended the life of species 8472 even when doing so put her whole crew at risk. Maybe morally you can feel that sacrificing one alien life to save many others is ok--but at least you can agree that Janeway is a hypocrite . I can't see how she still retains the respect of the crew after her flip-flopping ways.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Janeway isn't exactly the greatest captain ever, nor the smartest. She's also inconsistant. In one episode she might follow the prime directive, and in another ignore it completely. How the hell did she ever get her rank?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"