Allegiance

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Allegiance

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:makes her look all moral and principled and stuff.
Unfortunately, every other week she vacillated from all moral and principled to ruthlessly pragmatic and uncaring.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:In theory, the way the writers went is the better way to go, from a writing point of view. But the way they constructed the dilemma was bad; they needed to arrange things so that Janeway had to choose to either go home or let the Ocampa die, with no other options. They did a pretty poor job of it.
A better way to do it would therefore be to have made the Kazon a much greater and much nastier threat - a serious threat to Voyager and the aim of exterminating the Ocampa, only being stopped by far superior Caretaker technology. Their aim could therefore have been to board the array and use its weapons to punch through the Ocampa's shield, with Voyager too weak to drive them off but having remote access to the displacement wave controls (given them by the Caretaker). Janeway would have been left with the option of activating the array and going home (and leaving the array in the Kazon's hands) or destroying it from long range.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Or come up with something not involving the Ocampa which are possibly one of the stupidest species ever seen.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I quite liked the idea of a short lived species. Kes was 2 in season 1, so if she had stuck around she would have been dying of old age just about the time Voyager got back. It could have been a great way to show a character evolving throughout the show - she's have been almost a child at the start, a middle aged woman by season three or so, etc. She could even have had a kid or two along the way. Unfortunately they didn't bother with all that and just decided to make her a magic woman instead.

Their reproduction also bothers me. Each Ocampan female has one chance to have one child in her life? They don't have to worry about the Kazon, their population must be at least cut in half every generation just because of their own stupid biology.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah thats the sort of problem that makes you wonder what the writers were thinking.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I said the exact same thing in another thread about them: the Ocampa were f*cked long before the Kazon ever encountered them.

Seriously, it would require every member of the species, both male and female, to reproduce to achieve zero percent population growth.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Woudnt it be -50% population growth?

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Woudnt it be -50% population growth?
Ahem.
Rochey wrote:Seriously, it would require every member of the species, both male and female, to reproduce to achieve zero percent population growth.
The Ocampa could theoretically have sustained zero population growth, if they were an hermaphrodite species.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh right, didnt even think of that.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

No surprise there - the species' sexual dimorphism proves pretty conclusively that they're not hermaphrodites.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Maybe twins and triplets are common.

Or is there dialogue to dispute this, its been a while since I've seen the episode.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The idea of the Ocampa short life span i thought was pretty good. it was different, i certainly cant remember a race that lived less time than my flobbadob lump cat.

But the way they were implemented as bloody aweful.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:Maybe twins and triplets are common.

Or is there dialogue to dispute this, its been a while since I've seen the episode.
There's dialogue - in Elogium, where this "one birth per female" stupidity started, Kes repeatedly refered to having her "child". If multiple births were that common she'd have said "children".

There's also "Before and After" where Kes, her daughter, and her grandson were all shown to be only children.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I suppose the species could be 90% female and 10% male. That way the men all knock up 9 woman each and only have 10% population loss a generation... still stupid.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

So basically the Ocampa were doomed. unless they developed or were given some form of advanced genetic manipulation that allows them to produce multiple children throughout their lifespan.