Replicator Rations

Voyager
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Replicator Rations

Post by Mark »

That works out perfectly then!!! The dead tribble can provide the matter for my next shrimp cocktail!!!!
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Mark wrote:That works out perfectly then!!! The dead tribble can provide the matter for my next shrimp cocktail!!!!
Exactly...

On a side note relating to Food and Replicators. We have seen numerous times how people 'prefer' regular food and can tell the difference, this supports the idea even further than sometimes the 'base material' isn't always ideal, even on a fully staffed and supplied vessel like the E-D
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ok....so thinking along these lines, I'm on Voyager. Neelix has cooked some unpronouncable and unrecognisable foodstuff. I could take my plate with a smile, walk over to the replicator, recycle it, and get something I want? Then why would ANYBODY eat any of Neelix's experiments?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mark wrote:Ok....so thinking along these lines, I'm on Voyager. Neelix has cooked some unpronouncable and unrecognisable foodstuff. I could take my plate with a smile, walk over to the replicator, recycle it, and get something I want? Then why would ANYBODY eat any of Neelix's experiments?
The rations may be as much about the energy as the raw resources.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Mark wrote:Ok....so thinking along these lines, I'm on Voyager. Neelix has cooked some unpronouncable and unrecognisable foodstuff. I could take my plate with a smile, walk over to the replicator, recycle it, and get something I want? Then why would ANYBODY eat any of Neelix's experiments?
This crew boldly stated you can not turn when at warp... had a state of the art doctor proclaim a single generation mutation as evolution while no one questioned it...

I think they werwe all trying to do the assisted suicide thing without alerting Tuvok or Janeway, at least then their nightmare would have been over...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

KuvahMagh wrote:
This crew boldly stated you can not turn when at warp... had a state of the art doctor proclaim a single generation mutation as evolution while no one questioned it...

I think they werwe all trying to do the assisted suicide thing without alerting Tuvok or Janeway, at least then their nightmare would have been over...
I see your point :worried:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

To use the steak example, I'd imagine it could be replicated with a stock as basic as the pre-composite simple peptides.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
The rations may be as much about the energy as the raw resources.
Going by that logic, then, how much energy was expended when twenty or so crew members are beamed some fifty thousand miles to a planet's surface to pick up stuff for Neelix's salad?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or constantly running that irish town program around the clock. I imagine that took QUITE a bit of power.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Mark wrote:Or constantly running that irish town program around the clock. I imagine that took QUITE a bit of power.
According to Voyager the Holodecks have their own power source which is incompatible with the rest of the ship. I can't remember the ep but I remember that...
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mark wrote:Or constantly running that irish town program around the clock. I imagine that took QUITE a bit of power.
At one point early on they stated that the holodecks had their own generators but were incompatible with the ship's main power network. This was one of the writer's smarter ideas, as it gave them an excuse(a lame one but better then nothing) to have holodeck episodes without energy concerns being brought up. Too bad they weren't even consistant about that, with transfering holodeck power to some other system I can't think of.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
At one point early on they stated that the holodecks had their own generators but were incompatible with the ship's main power network. This was one of the writer's smarter ideas, as it gave them an excuse(a lame one but better then nothing) to have holodeck episodes without energy concerns being brought up. Too bad they weren't even consistant about that, with transfering holodeck power to some other system I can't think of.
Point taken. I seem to remember something like that too, now that you mention it. But that still no sense to me. Why not give the replicators there own genterators then? They CANNOT be as power intensive as a holodeck.

BTW.....isn't it true, if you have something to eat or drink in a holodeck, it is replicated in the holodeck? Otherwise, how would anyone eat or drink holographic food? Why not turn a holodeck into a galley four times a day then?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I can't remember the ep but I remember that...
The Cloud. About halfway through the review he mentions it and talks about how stupid it is.

Oh, and this episode also seems to indicate that the ship's cook can overrule you on what you want to use your rations on. Either that or Neelix is just being a sh*thead again. My money's on the latter.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Oh, and this episode also seems to indicate that the ship's cook can overrule you on what you want to use your rations on. Either that or Neelix is just being a sh*thead again. My money's on the latter.
I don't rem,ember the ep but it seems to me that since most ships don't seem to have 'cooks', even in TOS they had the machines doing it, or so it would seem, that Janeway would throw Nelix a bone or two in that department. If for no other reason than to keep him away from the Bridge and Tuvok's ensuing murder trial...
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yet, on the E-A they had a galley, and I would assume with a galley, a cook as well. Never understood why they had food despensors on the E-Nil, and a galley on the E-A