Equinox Problem # 6987690008754468

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Equinox Problem # 6987690008754468

Post by Mikey »

Well, CPH is our engineer and Thorin our theoretical physicist, and I'm certainly no expert, but...

no. The energy produced by an M/AM annihilation is dependent solely on the mass annihilated. It doesn't matter if it's 15g of dead aliens or 15g of Neelix' plague cheese.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

You are correct Mikey.
Is it possible that the alien's corpse gave off some sort of electrical discharge before being annihalated (yes, I'm grasping at straws... I hate having to make up physics for stupid stuff like this)? Would that explain any increase in speed?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You mean like burn it as fuel, THEN use it as a component in a M/AM annihilation? Perhaps, but then you'd have to have two different sets of equipment for power generation, power transfer, and power usage. I don't think that the Equinox did.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Seven mentioned there were major modifications to the warp drive system, maybe these are what she was talking about.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:Seven mentioned there were major modifications to the warp drive system, maybe these are what she was talking about.
Nah, she was talking about the daiquiri machine and surround-sound system they installed. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:The only possibility I see is to convert some of the energy of the M/AM reaction that is normally dissipated in the form of neutrinos into a more useful form (though how this would be done is a mystery given the fact that neutrinos interact extremely weakly with normal matter).
That's exactly what happens - 70% of the energy released in a M/AM reaction decays to neutrinos within a fraction of a second.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

We're always hearing about all sorts of strange substances being used for the power systems on a Starship. For instance Voyager's used omicron particles (The Cloud), photonic matter (Heroes and Demons), and tellerium (Resistance). Not to mention that warp cores produce trilithium resin waste (Starship Mine), and use dilithium for some not-terribly-well-defined-purpose.

Point being, there's clearly a lot more going on there than simply slapping some matter and antimatter together and watching gamma rays and neutrinos and whatnot fly out. We can't reasonably use real life physics to talk about what happens in a warp core in any great detail.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's been a long time since my last physics lesson, so correct me if I'm wrong, but
photonic matter
isn't that just light?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lord knows what the hell it's meant to be. It wasn't just a beam of light, though, it was an actual physical substance... kinda gas like.

I can only imagine from the name that photonic matter is a substance in which photons are somehow bonded together like the atoms in a gas, or even a liquid or solid. How on Earth you might do that I don't know. Frankly they might as well have used a term like "magic moonbeams".
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Chalk another explaination up to "quantum" in that case, I guess.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I know this is a big stretch but since the creatures were from another dimension maybe their bodies werent burnt as fuel for propulsion so much as used in a way that allowed the ship to travel differently thus crossly larger areas of space... Its a stretch but to explains the speed jumps.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:"magic moonbeams".
Which actually WOULD be "photonic matter." :D
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

What would happen if you planted magic moonbeams in a nebula? Would they blossom into a beanstalk to the land of Trek fairy tales? :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:What would happen if you planted magic moonbeams in a nebula? Would they blossom into a beanstalk to the land of Trek fairy tales? :P
That sounds about as plausible as some of the crap they threw at us from 1999-2005...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hell, Trek is already past the land of fairy tales and is now making good headway through the lands of Salvadore Dahli.