USS Excalibur

The Original Series

What happened to USS Excalibur?

Did they manage to repair her and get her back into service with a new crew?
75%
Was she deemed unsalvagable, thus decommissioned, and scrapped?
25%

Total votes: 12
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: USS Excalibur

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Then there'd definitely be extensive damage.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

There are other possibilities. Incapacitating damge to the life-support systems would do it, obviously, as would a decks-wide hull breach along with problems with the ship's containment capacity. Major repairs would be necessary, of course, but with less labor/resources involved than constructing a brnad-new vessel.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Incapacitating damge to the life-support systems would do it, obviously
I'm not sure if it would - the ship's volume is great enough to give at least some of the crew time to get into spacesuits and/or emergency shelters. There'd certainly be casualties, but I doubt the entire crew would be lost.
as would a decks-wide hull breach along with problems with the ship's containment capacity.
Damage extensive enough to kill the entire crew would wreck the ship's structural integrity - it'd have to be completely rebuilt.
Major repairs would be necessary, of course, but with less labor/resources involved than constructing a brnad-new vessel.
Not necessarilly - Sir Tristram took as long to rebuild as Sir Galahad took from scratch, and she wasn't anywhere near as badly damaged as Excalibur apparently was.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:I'm not sure if it would - the ship's volume is great enough to give at least some of the crew time to get into spacesuits and/or emergency shelters. There'd certainly be casualties, but I doubt the entire crew would be lost.
OK, I'll buy that.
Captain Seafort wrote:Damage extensive enough to kill the entire crew would wreck the ship's structural integrity - it'd have to be completely rebuilt.
That one's a little muddy on either side, so I won't persist.
Captain Seafort wrote:Not necessarilly - Sir Tristram took as long to rebuild as Sir Galahad took from scratch, and she wasn't anywhere near as badly damaged as Excalibur apparently was.
I can't accept that as a valid analogy. You're comparing apples to stop signs as far as the tech, scope, and degree of labor-intensiveness of starship construction. The most liberal outlook I can give you on that point is "there's no way of knowing."
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:[

I can't accept that as a valid analogy. You're comparing apples to stop signs as far as the tech, scope, and degree of labor-intensiveness of starship construction. The most liberal outlook I can give you on that point is "there's no way of knowing."
You know they were seriously talking about scrapping Cole after she got that hole in her side in Yemen?

Traditionally it takes about the same amount of work and funds to rebuild a severely damamged ship as it does for new construction. That said, we don't have any idea of the damage Excaliber recieved, for all we know she went up in a caontainment loss.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:There are other possibilities. Incapacitating damge to the life-support systems would do it, obviously, as would a decks-wide hull breach along with problems with the ship's containment capacity. Major repairs would be necessary, of course, but with less labor/resources involved than constructing a brnad-new vessel.
Would knocking out life support cause "instant" death for the crew? I can't see how, unless MOST of the ship was breached and exposed to the vaccum of space, sucking all remaining heat and air out. Shouldn't be possible without almost completely destroying the ship in the process. If such was the case the very space frame would likely be to damaged to do anything with, don't you think?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, yes, Seafort already beat me up on that point. I can man-up and admit I was wrong.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ooops, sorry. Must have read through it (before morning coffee).
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You could get a power surge that blows everything in the ship up, spraying the whole crew with shrapnel...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:You could get a power surge that blows everything in the ship up, spraying the whole crew with shrapnel...
Yeah, that stuff didn't really happen till TNG. In fact in Where No Man Has Gone Before a console shorts out in the classic electrical fashion and again in Balance Of Terror. I can't recall a single TNGesque explosion in the series.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A warp core Radiation leak might, like the one seen in STV, but those are usually contained easily.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:A warp core Radiation leak might, like the one seen in STV, but those are usually contained easily.
Maybe, that's something else we didn't see in TOS: the explodo core.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Teaos wrote:A warp core Radiation leak might, like the one seen in STV, but those are usually contained easily.
Maybe, that's something else we didn't see in TOS: the explodo core.
That just proves that Scotty was a better engineer than the blind guy or the emotional half klingon... I'll take people who should not be allowed near a M/AM reaction for $1000...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hey yeah! I just realized that. How many times did E-D or Voyager blow up during the course of the show from some catastophy or other. With Scotty to back him, Kirk didn't let anything happen to his ship, until he killed it himself (again, he couldn't have done it without Scotty)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I guess if the enviornmental systems were damaged somehow they could have flooded the ship with some chemical instantly fatal. Like a smoke in the cockpit kind of thing.