Guilty Pleasures

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Bryan Moore wrote:Truthfully, for many of us, doesn't Trek at least partially apply? I never deny liking it, but it's also not a matter of conversation at parties or anywhere else where I'm trying to go home with a girl. In fact, the day Trek gets me laid is the day I'll proudly have the communicator badge tattooed on my chest.
I should ge to work on my chest.. >.>

Its all on how you put in the Trek show. Lot of girls are currious in Trek. Just have to find the right Trek-currious one.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

MetalHead wrote:Thats really cool, big thumbs up for you, oh fearless leader of DITL! However did you not at the same time (this is entirely dependant on the context) scream to yourself: OH NOOOOO IM IN THE FRIEND ZONEEEEEE
No, actually. As you say, it depends on the context.

I do find that generally, people are pretty accepting of my being such a big Trek fan. They think it's a bit odd, but not really overly so.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Monroe wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:Truthfully, for many of us, doesn't Trek at least partially apply? I never deny liking it, but it's also not a matter of conversation at parties or anywhere else where I'm trying to go home with a girl. In fact, the day Trek gets me laid is the day I'll proudly have the communicator badge tattooed on my chest.

Its all on how you put in the Trek show. Lot of girls are currious in Trek. Just have to find the right Trek-currious one.
I hang out with sorority girls and/or girls that hang around with me and my fraternity, mostly. And when it's not them, its whatever girls I know randomly and am hooking up with. Trek isn't gonna get me far with that crowd, admittedly. I'm sure there's some attractive female Trekkie's out there, but I dunno where. So in that sense, it's a guilty pleasure. But if asked, I readily admit it.

Other guilty pleasure: The Petshop Boys
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I have groups of people I hang around with. Some I would never mention it others I talk about it with. It all depends on your audience.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Monroe wrote:

I hang out with sorority girls and/or girls that hang around with me and my fraternity, mostly. And when it's not them, its whatever girls I know randomly and am hooking up with. Trek isn't gonna get me far with that crowd, admittedly. I'm sure there's some attractive female Trekkie's out there, but I dunno where. So in that sense, it's a guilty pleasure. But if asked, I readily admit it.

Other guilty pleasure: The Petshop Boys
Yeah probably not.
I'm no ladies expert or anything just girls that hang out around the english (room mates' department), history, and video departments have a high chance of liking trek. Its kind of weird.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Yeah I've found history/english majors to be more likely to enjoy Trek, too, actually. That and all my science/engineering friends.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

i have to say, there's a lot of star trek fans among the medical student crowd -- quite disproportionate from the general population. i guess we all just wanna be blue shirts.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Hmm, I'm starting to think maybe it's just a large proportion of Star Trek fans that are simply into higher education in any way. The teacher who shares a cubicle in the faculty office next to me is a big Trekkie, with a Mr. Worf and Borg action figure on his desk. Quite top. Lots of the teachers I work with have a pretty good knowledge of Trek, as is.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've noticed that many of my fellow teachers know a fair bit about Trek also. Many of the smarter students here tend to watch it as well.

I think Trek just has a reputation for being for smart people (nerds)
TNG seems a good example of this, in my opinion.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
MetalHead
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by MetalHead »

Rochey wrote:I've noticed that many of my fellow teachers know a fair bit about Trek also. Many of the smarter students here tend to watch it as well.

I think Trek just has a reputation for being for smart people (nerds)
TNG seems a good example of this, in my opinion.
See, I know Trek is nerdy, but sometimes I can't figure out why.

Lets look at the 'cooler' bits.

Action sequences, and in Trek (especially films like First Contact and Nemesis) the action is fantastic. I know in TOS that when theres a fight sequence, everyone flies around the room and dives worse than a drunken pub team on a football field, but for the most part...

rawr.

maybe I just think to much.
"Beware what you intend to say, those words will always make you pay." - Soilwork

Booze and Strippers!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think most people just get as far as the technobabble and give up there. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"