Laser stats or The ENT Stats

Should we use the weapons and tech like lasers etc or phase cannons etc?

Lasers, Spatial atomic torpedoes, Superconductive armour
53%
Phase cannons, Photonic torpedoes and Polarized hull plating
47%

Total votes: 15
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Laser stats or The ENT Stats

Post by Reliant121 »

I dont want to override people really....it just doesnt feel right...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

me,myself and I wrote:[
Much to my chagrin, I have never seen the forehead Arc (I wish I had though)...what I watch depends on the episodes SciFi airs.
I really hate people who bash something without having seen it :evil:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

If you had read what I wrote earlier--I have seen it, in fact I was pulling for it in the beginning...but it just got to bad. The 4th season gave me hope, but due to wacky TV schedues I have not been able to catch up. I'm watching it again on Sci-Fi and I'll admit, storywise, the 2nd time around doesn't seem too bad...tech wise, I think they made mistakes.

Try reading all the posts next time.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

me,myself and I wrote:If you had read what I wrote earlier--I have seen it, in fact I was pulling for it in the beginning...but it just got to bad. The 4th season gave me hope, but due to wacky TV schedues I have not been able to catch up. I'm watching it again on Sci-Fi and I'll admit, storywise, the 2nd time around doesn't seem too bad...tech wise, I think they made mistakes.

Try reading all the posts next time.
I did read that, but your still bashing the tech. While they could've done better, I'm saying we shouldn't abandon canon just because we don't like it.
I dont want to override people really....it just doesnt feel right...
But it feels right to override canon?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

no it does not. But my....'Political' motivations (democracy) supersede that.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I voted for lasers, etc., because this seems like an opportunity for us in our small scope ti roght some of B&B's wrongs. However, before everybody gets their panties in MORE of a bunch, remember that the RP aspects can and should be much more prevalent than what we call the onboard weapons.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Do people not understand that it's not a matter of preference but a matter of sticking to canon? Honestly, this is more then what we think should've been done. This is more like the difference between making this a Star Trek RP or some random sci-fi RP.
remember that the RP aspects can and should be much more prevalent than what we call the onboard weapons
True, but this is more then the ship's weapons, it's also the personal weapons. Phase pistols/rifles ect.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Do people not understand that it's not a matter of preference but a matter of sticking to canon?
Of course we do - that's why we're arguing that the ships should be armed with lasers and nukes, to conform to the known armament of Romulan War era starships.
True, but this is more then the ship's weapons, it's also the personal weapons. Phase pistols/rifles ect.
Give 'em laser pistols, like the ones seen in "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before". We might also be able to get a predecessor of that artillery piece from "The Cage" in somehow.
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Do people not understand that it's not a matter of preference but a matter of sticking to canon? Honestly, this is more then what we think should've been done. This is more like the difference between making this a Star Trek RP or some random sci-fi RP.
So the tech makes the universe then? not the stories, not the morals, the technology. Why do you think Enterprise did so poorly? It disregarded canon completely in its technology. Enterprise was responsible for maintaining the backstory of the established universe, it failed. We ought to do what we can to correct it. The very first canon was TOS The Cage which established lasers as the primary weapon both visually and in dialogue, that is the example we should follow. (IMHO...I am willing to work with democracy on this one, I'll abide by whichever school of thought wins, whether I agree or no)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Do people not understand that it's not a matter of preference but a matter of sticking to canon?
Of course we do - that's why we're arguing that the ships should be armed with lasers and nukes, to conform to the known armament of Romulan War era starships.
I did propose a compromise explinating that.
Give 'em laser pistols, like the ones seen in "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before". We might also be able to get a predecessor of that artillery piece from "The Cage" in somehow.
So you want to give them energy weapons that are more advanced while down grading the torpedoes to atomic? does that make any sense?
We ought to do what we can to correct it.
And who the hell are we to 'correct' canon.
The very first canon was TOS The Cage which established lasers as the primary weapon both visually and in dialogue, that is the example we should follow.
Which makes lasers more powerful then phase pistols at that point in time which means that we'd actually be upgrading the energy weapons, while downgrading the torpedoes which makes no sense.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Also, while you're ragging on Enterprise being inconsistant, TOS wasn't so perfect either. It should also be noted that Lieutenant Kirk manned the phaser station aboard the USS Farragut in 2257, three years before "The Cage"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Also the Cage was 100 years into the future and I'm pretty dang sure that lasers don't make funny noises and have beams of energy you can see. That's like saying Khan's wars were in 1990 just because TOS set it to that year. Its been retconned as technology and Star Trek has involved in 40 years.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

This isn't going very well so far. :?

Like I said in the other thread, maybe we can come up with some reason that lasers became the primary weapons at this point (what year are we going for here, anyways?), and "phase" technology fell by the wayside. I like Blackstar's logistical reason, but the Phase Cannons seemed absurdly easy to assemble and install...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

They managed to assemble a further two out of...what? I get that they had one dissembled on board but where did they get the parts for the other two, the replicator that they didn't have?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:They managed to assemble a further two out of...what? I get that they had one dissembled on board but where did they get the parts for the other two, the replicator that they didn't have?
They were actually compressed inside the stick that was up T'pol's ass.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939