Borg queen

Voyager
Cyd
Petty officer second class

Post by Cyd »

In there introduction the Borg where said to have generalized ships with no central systems. We can assume they would act this way on a large scale, so a control center would be unlikely.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yes the whole point of the borg is that each individual is unimportant. 99% of the borg could be destroyed and they would still survive.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I Am Spartacus wrote: Not that there's any reason to assimilate mankind anyways, as we (in Trek) offer no biological or technological distinctiveness that they don't already possess. Remember when the Borg queen described us as something along the lines of "minimal brainpower, no redundant organs, weak technology"?
The initial reason the Borg went after Earth was probably the Enterprise's observed ability to accelerate far beond the speed of transwarp (ie Q). From then the Federation defeated two invasion attempts in 2365/66 and 2373, and Voyager played a critical role in the Borg's very survival in the face of 8472's attacks. While the Queen might humanity's usefulness, it's clear that the human race is far from weak.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We have done what very few have managed to do. We fought them off several times.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

I Am Spartacus wrote:
Tiberius wrote:As I said, the "Hive Mind" is formed from all the drones being connected together. It's not stored in a single massive computer bank, and I made it clear that the hive mind was NOT stored within the Queen's body.
I Am Spartacus wrote:The human brain isn't capable of controlling the functions of trillions of individuals, and billions of ships and other associated gadgets.
The trillions of drones are all connected, but there still needs to be some kind of central control, ie. a massive computer bank hidden away somewhere in the Delta Quadrant.
Why? Modern trends with computing and robotics have been getting very good results with a decentralised computer system.
Teaos wrote:The reason for the personification of the Borg is what I have already theorised. That when dealing with certain species a more personal front may prove more effective.
I Am Spartacus wrote:If the hive mind wanted to communicate on a "more personal level" (which makes no sense in and of itself), it would just use a drone.
They why have they failed spectacularly whenever they tried this "personal approach" that they're not even capable of in the first place? Why not instead say to themselves "hrm, let's just send two cubes instead of one!"
I see the actions of a drone or cube as more of a reflex action. it carries out preprogrammed actions, but anything too out of the ordinary gets the attention of the concious part of the borg hive mind, which is the mind of the Queen.
Not that there's any reason to assimilate mankind anyways, as we (in Trek) offer no biological or technological distinctiveness that they don't already possess. Remember when the Borg queen described us as something along the lines of "minimal brainpower, no redundant organs, weak technology"?
Ah, but then there would be no stories with the Borg, would there?
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think we have as much if not more to offer than most species. We may not make great drones but thats becuase drones are useless hunks of flesh. What makes us great are our minds and inovation. That gets destroyed during assimilation.

Cyd

Post by Cyd »

Not that there's any reason to assimilate mankind anyways, as we (in Trek) offer no biological or technological distinctiveness that they don't already possess. Remember when the Borg queen described us as something along the lines of "minimal brainpower, no redundant organs, weak technology"?
But, there are other species such as Vulcans in the Federation. They would make very good drones.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote:We have done what very few have managed to do. We fought them off several times.
But never against a tactical cube or hell 12 cubes like the armadas we saw against 8472. The Borg seemed to me only to take marginal interest in the Federation, why else only send one whey they have several hundred thousand to choose from.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Still I doubt many other species could take even the two we got thrown at us. Also the Borg dont seem to attack on mass ever. The only time we saw it was in their own space that was being invaded by a super power.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What makes us great are our minds and inovation. That gets destroyed during assimilation.
That wouldn't just apply to humans though, the same is true for nearly every other race.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We seem to be special though. Even Q says so. We have a drive to better ourselves just for the thrill of it and explore. Others don't have this to the same extent we do.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Whatever they may claim to the contrary, the Borg seem to suffer the effects of certain emotions - as exemplified by the Queen, at least. For example, pride, frustration, and anger. Their continued interest in the Federation and/or humanity may be due solely or in part to their lack of success with "us" in the past.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Their lack of success makes us a threat and it is only logical to get rid of a threat.

Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

Mikey wrote:Whatever they may claim to the contrary, the Borg seem to suffer the effects of certain emotions - as exemplified by the Queen, at least. For example, pride, frustration, and anger. Their continued interest in the Federation and/or humanity may be due solely or in part to their lack of success with "us" in the past.
I think my thoery about the Borg Queen actually explains this rather nicely. The mind of the Queen is the only single mind, which explains how she can experience the emotions. each drone, however, is like a single brain cell, and by itself can't display emotions. But when all the drones are working together, they form a single mind (the Queen) which can experience emotions.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Dead on. That last post was about 0% nonsense!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer