Fluidic space.

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Why would Voyager have high G's at warp? All it does it bend space around it according to the technobabble.

The only time it has high G's is when it turns and stuff.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Teaos wrote:Why would Voyager have high G's at warp? All it does it bend space around it according to the technobabble.

The only time it has high G's is when it turns and stuff.
You still pull g-forces when at high speeds. We've seen many starfleet ships make turns at warp. Doing so requires pulling trillions of g-forces, at the least. Even at impulse you'd still be pulling millions.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But they aren't moving at high speeds in the way we think they are. They warp space around them so while they travel millions of miles at a time they aren't traveling at that speed the same way we are when we move.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Teaos wrote:But they aren't moving at high speeds in the way we think they are. They warp space around them so while they travel millions of miles at a time they aren't traveling at that speed the same way we are when we move.
That doesn't make sense. If they're not travelling "the same way we are" how are they? They're still subjected to the same laws of physics as the rest of us. "Warping space around them" doesn't void them from experiencing g-forces. And besides, at impulse they aren't warping space around them, and they're still pulling tremendous g-forces.

And my point about the shields still stands.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

For us to travel 100km's we have to move 100km's.

For them to move 100 light years they bend space reducing the distance they have to travel while still ending up 100 light years away.

For us to draw a line from one end of a sheet of paper to another we have to cover the whole lengh of it. They would fold the paper over getting to the other end with a far shorter line but still end in the smae place.

I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

An analogy is useless if you don't explain what it actually is.

And as I said, when a ship is at impulse, she isn't "warping space around her" and still withstands millions of g-forces.

And please address the point about shields.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I am not totally familiar with Impulse engines but dont they work under the theory of making the ship and everything in it lighter? They speed up by reducing the mass while keeping the same momentum thus speeding up travel. Since everything weighs less G's become less of a problem. But then I am not positive about this...

I believe you used the sheilds to explain how the ship wasn't crushed or why they didn't form a bubble. As I said I don't think the fluid has much presure to it. Since it is a universal constant it has no huge mass due to gravity. It could have very little presure to it. But yes while moving the sheilds and diflector dish could be very helpful in keeping the ship from being ripped apart.

I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Even if there is no gravity in fluidic space, there's still matter that can generate a tremendous amount of friction even when just at impulse. Voyager should have burst into flames instantly upon arrival.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That would have been a cool view. But so long as they didnt move to fast I think the diflector dish and shields would have helped a lot to stop damage along with the SIF.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There had to be some pressure from whatever "fluid" or ether filled fluidic space; wasn't that one of the original excuses - er, reasons - why 8472 were so physically strong?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Some but not enough to instantly crush a starship. It would make movement hard but still possible.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

With the SI field, navigational deflector, and shields protecting the ship, I think the greatest challenge to navigation in fluidic space would be drag - a force which conventional navigation would rarely have experience with, certainly not at high speeds.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think maybe the Navigational diflector would help with drag. It would help keep a smooth flow of matter around the ship.